This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97990 January 19th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
OP Offline
I am not a gardener (unless you count my hastas). I like to identify native wildflowers, trees, and other plants.

Here is a plant I have not found in my field guides. It is a tall, sturdy plant on a single, erect stem that reaches six feet. The leaves are small and clasping. The white flowers are on very short stalks arising from the leaf axils. Any idea what this might be?

There are many more pictures of it on my Web site, MinnesotaSeasons.com, at the link below:

Minnesota Seasons - Mystery Plant B

plants/Images/PNG/Mystery_B_01s.png" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

R
R
looks like mint

M
M
I think it is a wild lettuce , Lactuca canadensis .

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The other mystery plant you have
on your page, looks to me like some kind of...
Large-flowerd beard-tongue?????????

Still looking for something that looks like that..
Seems very firmilar, but can't quite place it...
YET!!!

OP Offline
I agree that Mystery plant A looks like a beardtongue - or some kind of penstemon. But it is very hairy and the flowers are much smaller than the Large-flowered Beardtongue. Also, the lower "lip" appears to be unsplit.

R
R
look thru some mint family pages.

I still think mint.

horsemint

hairy mint

penny royal

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm going with the Pennyroyal one... thumbup

OP Offline
WeedWoman at iVillage got it. It is Smooth Rattlesnake Root, Prenanthes racemosa.

iVillage Garden Web

Thanks for trying.

M
M
I saw the response on the Name That plant forum . I feel like a dork that I didn't remember identifying one of those here on our place last year . I was close . It is of the same family as wild lettuce !

Link Copied to Clipboard