This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97950 March 5th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
My friend in NC was given an indoor palm as a gift and she doesn't know what variety it is.

The plant is about 4 1/2 feet tall and in a 10 inch pot. Some of the leaves are yellow now, and two are turning brown at the ends. There are many hair-like roots showing across the top of the dirt.

This morning she fed it with Mircale Gro.

She has the plant about 10 feet from a large palledium window facing East.

What could be wrong with this plant and how can she help it?

Merme

#97951 March 5th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can you get a description of the leaves?? length, width, color, whether they are frond-like or more like a plant leaf. also, what kind of stalk does it have?

a pic would really be the best, if it's possible.

how long has she had it? how often has she been watering it?

for the size of it, it might need a bigger pot. can she see any roots coming out of the bottom drain holes?

the yellowing leaves, are they at the bottom? it might just be a normal growth pattern - especially if there is new growth at the top. or it could be a matter of not enough water - especially since there are some with browning tips.

browning tips can also be caused by not letting the water sit overnight before putting it in the pot (chlorine). if they're really unsightly, she can trim them off...just tell her to cut so that she maintains the shape of the leaf.

#97952 March 5th, 2007 at 07:11 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I emailed my friend and asked her to send me a photo or two to show you. And, I passed along the information you posted so far. Thanks.

Merme

#97953 March 6th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
yellowing leaves are a sign of under-watering, but blackening leaves are a sign of over watering how quickly is this happening?? certain varieties of palms like high humidities... while most palms do fine pot-bound... i have several kentia palms i care for taller than i am (im 6 ft) in they are potted in 14" pots buti keep them constantly lightly moist, if they dry too much they die fast...

#97954 March 6th, 2007 at 03:40 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
I've arranged to get a photo by tonight or early tomorrow. We've been told that the "hair-like roots" could actually be a fungus, so a visual inspiection will be key to saving this nice plant. I'll post as soon as I receive it!

Merme

#97955 March 6th, 2007 at 04:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is she sure it's roots??? could the stuff be some kind of moss that's used in a decorative fashion?

#97956 March 7th, 2007 at 03:38 AM
yea joclyn is right,that maybe is what it is some deco. moss i cant think of any type of fungus that looks like roots that grows in the soil...

Link Copied to Clipboard