This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9773 June 12th, 2003 at 08:17 PM
U
UV428 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I've had these beautiful plants in my yard for years. I was perusing the search when I read that it is recommended to trim back the foilage as it withers.
I've always been under the impression that lillys, iris' and other plants like these, take back the nutriants from those leaves for reserves during the winter.
I do trim back the any length of yellow from the leaves, but never the whole leaf.

My plants really look great, the blossom stalks are about 2 1/2 feet high, red and cream color. I cut the blossoms back when they are finished blooming to encourage new growth.

Just wondering what others do about this leaf thing.

What way is right, or does it really matter?

#9774 June 13th, 2003 at 04:03 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
You must be doing everything right, since your plants seem to be doing so well. Cutting the yellowed portions of the foliage only is the thing to do, because, like you said, the foliage is what feeds the tuber for the next years growth. Sometimes, though, the weather can make the plant look pretty ratty so you may have to trim the foliage more severely just to make it look better!
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/tritoma.html

#9775 June 13th, 2003 at 08:22 AM
U
UV428 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Bill.
When the weather messes with my plants, I usually let nature takes it's course.

Off topic, I use to have a mineral claim up on the Sultan. Beautiful country.

Thanks for the comment.

#9776 June 14th, 2003 at 01:26 PM
A
A
I only cut back the foilage in late winter/early spring to remove the winter-damaged foilage...it soon regrows nicely. I think you are correct in only cutting off the spent stalks after blooming since the leaves are needed to help store up energy for the next year's blooms.

Link Copied to Clipboard