This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9730 July 21st, 2003 at 09:26 AM
P
OP Offline
P
We moved to this area 13 years ago. That is when I first saw this beautiful tree and bush.Bush (Lagerstroemia /Crape Myrtle) I have wanted one ever since. Almost every year I go to the local nursery and ask for one. Every year I hear the same thing, you are too ealy or too late. This year however I did it!!! (yea me!)In fact I was so excited, I bought three bushes. Herres my problem, the nursery only had the three bushes left and there was no planting or care instructions on them. I asked the gal at the nursery and she had no clue. I need to get them in the ground and I am terrified to plant them incorrectly. Does anyone have any advise? I could sure use some help.

#9731 July 21st, 2003 at 12:42 PM
S
S
Hi there! Crape myrtles like plenty of sunshine, and they don't like to dry out too much. At least, mine don't here in Florida. So just from what I've seen here, plant it in a sunny location, and give it plenty of water. As far as fertilizing goes, I'd look to the experts for that...that's something I'd like to find out myself! :p Good luck with the crape myrtle, gorgeous, aren't they?

#9732 July 31st, 2003 at 10:07 AM
L
L
My husband has had 7 crape myrtles for almost7 years and not once has fertilized them and since he isn't really a gardener hasn't watered them regularly like I thought you should. I didn't meet him until 2 1/2 years ago. Anyway, the plants look great and they seem to be fine. When we went through the drought they did fine, they just weren't as pretty. I always go by a simple rule. After you plant it water it once a day for 12 days and that usually does the trick. Hope this helps a little.

#9733 July 31st, 2003 at 06:05 PM
F
F
A Crape Myrtle is an ornamental (just like magnolia, camellia,dog wood,etc). They make a special fertilizer for ornamentals sold at just about any gardening center.

Link Copied to Clipboard