This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9692 April 4th, 2003 at 12:53 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Does anyone know if the Oriental lillies are easy to grow and maintain. First time gardener!!!

#9693 April 5th, 2003 at 04:44 AM
A
A
Oriental lilies are extremely easy to grow and maintain. Just plant them in a sunny, well drained spot about 6 inches deep, water and stand back and watch them grow. Then water them during dry spells and that's about all you have to do. You can fertilize them if you want, but I rarely do and mine are beautiful. Cut back the foliage in late season only after it has died back. I always plant a few in pots each year as well, then after they've bloomed I plant them in the garden for next year. The only problem you might have is if you plant them in a wet spot...winter wetness can cause them to rot. Good luck!

#9694 April 7th, 2003 at 08:02 AM
C
C
Hey! Alankhart is right. Just want to add alittle: squirrels like to dig them up usually right after the soil has been loosened up for planting. Just sprinkle some cayenne pepper around the ground (add more after rain); you can also dust the bulb really well with medicated baby powder. That slows them ( critters ) down also. I am a big believer in what I refer to as BloomBuster..which is middle number higher than 45 ( I like a middle number of 60). Remember there are many kinds of lillies. When it comes to orientals, the next closest is asiatic. A little different, usually much sturdier stems, more brilliant color selections.

Link Copied to Clipboard