This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I just got a venus flytrap about a week ago and it needs about 60 percent humidity and I live in planting zone6 and I only get like 5-10 percent humidity here so I need a terrarium. I recentlly got an empty milk carton and cut a flap in the side for a temporary terrarium but I would like a more permanent terrarium, anyone know how to make one?

P.S. I've looked for aquariums but there are no fish stores around here and believe it or not the walmart doesn't have one either.

If you want to check around Walmart and be creative. Check out the Kitchen area. I have seen some beautiful large glass baking dishes with tops, large glass canisters, and clear storage containers would work.

If you just want a cheap temp container until you can find a aquarium buy a large drink or pickle jar in a clear container and cut the top halfway around and use clear packing tape around the bottle. Not the prettiest idea but a temporary solution..

OP Offline
thanks

C
C

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I got a piece of plexiglass at lowes for a decent price and they even cut it for me. Then some "L" shaped plastic or metal channel and some waterproof glue and sealer and you are good to go. Get some "U" shaped channel for the top to give it a finished edge. And you might want to get some corner pieces too. It all depends on how fancy you want to get.

M
M
I grow mine with the pot in a bowl about 1 inch larger than the pot filled with distilled water, on the windowsill. Never used a terrarium, had it 3 years, and it's growing fine. They like a cool and drier (without being dry) winter dormancy. They are native to So. Carolina.

G
G
I use the big juice bottles as terriums. I've also seen friends using the big jelly/canning jars.

C
C
what about a fish bowl.

Link Copied to Clipboard