This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
It seems to me that the folks we bought this house from simply bought perineal plants at random & scattered them all over the place when they lived here! I don't like where ½ of them are, & the other ½ I just plain don't like in the 1st place, for 1 reason or another! I'd like to start moving things around & plan my gardens for next year. so I went around today & took pics of plants that I don't have a clue about. Here they are:

[Linked Image]
This is about 12" across & has several groups of leaves coming from what seems to be 1 plant. I haven't noticed any flowers on it, but I realize that doesn't mean it doesn't bloom! (Does it?)I've seen the same thing in other yards around town, so I'm assuming that it's not considered a weed!

[Linked Image]
This seems like a pretty prolific ground cover, about 4-7" tall. It has woody, rooty looking tendrils & bunches up a lot, to where it looks like 1 meandering plant... but there are a bunch there, like maybe the real roots are under the ground & sends up several plants. I've trimmed it back many times when it's traveled over the walkway border, & the whacking hasn't seemed to bother it in the least... it just continues to grow, & goes where it wants to! (And dumping the garden hose in a heap on top of them doesn't bother them, either... sort of nice to have under the spigot, to avoid having a mud puddle!)

[Linked Image]
This little daisy-looking flower is so pretty against its deep green, well organized looking foliage! (Full sun today for my photo shoot in the yard, so the leaves here appear to be a lighter shade than they really are.) I don't know if it's supposed to be (or can be) a climber, but it's tendrils grow to about 18" long, sending several leaf groupings from them, & has spread itself out over the ground, here. (You might expect the blossoms to come from the centers of these well organized groupings, but they don't... the stems are only about 2" long & come from somewhere within the groupings.) Same as the #2 plant above, cutting it back doesn't seem to discourage it, as it just continues to grow, & goes where it wants to! (Abuse tolerant!!)

Anything anybody can tell me about these would be helpful.

Thanx

Hi!
The first one looks to me like Bergenia, and the second one like Aurinia Saxatilis (perennial alyssum). I'm not sure of the third, although it looks familiar!

wavey hi patty ~
the third photo looks like osteospermum to me.(?)

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Man you guys are quick!!!!

Yes, to the Bergenia, that's what I
would have said tooo...

And yes to the last one too, osteospermum,
that's what I would have said too...

Middle one... Duh dunno???
Looks very firmilar to me though..

I agree with everyone on # 1 & # 3.
Unfortunately # 2 looks like a weed to me. frown

I agree with Netty on #2.
Basket of Gold alyssum

A
A
#2 looks a lot like a Salvia to me. If the leaves have a very stong scent, I strongly suggest that is what it is. Happy gardening

Try this one for #2

Aurinia Saxatilis

That third one with the pink flower looks like kalanchoe leaves - a succulent of some kind, anyway.

Oh yeah - and the first one - the clusters are like a wild violet.

Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I looked up your guesses on the Google Garden Helper link & some other places online, & in the Sunset Western Garden book & also went down to our County Extension/Master Gardener's office, so I think I've finally established what my plants are.
I don't know what happened to the pics I posted in the beginning... I changed the name of my folder on PHOTOBUCKET, so maybe that messed them up clear over here! (DARN!) I'll put the pics up again, just for clarification. (Sorry I put all 3 pics on the same post when I started this topic... then somebody else did the same thing right after I did, & I see that it can make things pretty confusing! I won't do that in the future!)

You were right Netty & Weezie, this 1 is a "Bergenia".
plants/leaves.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Right on this 1 as well, Netty, along with Gardencrazy (twice!)"Aurinia Saxatilis" (AKA: Gold Dust, Basket of Gold, Golden Tuft... the list goes on.)
plants/nuisance.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

The 3rd one is Osteospermum (AKA: Sunscape Daisy, Cape Daisy... the list goes on.)
plants/purpled.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
Thanx to you all for your guesses. It helps to know what these plants are so I can look up specific characteristics & requirements while I plan my layout for next year.
I want to have "my" gardens around here next year, instead of settling for whatever came with the house!

Link Copied to Clipboard