This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95771 April 15th, 2006 at 04:14 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Does anyone know what this plant is? I got it in a box of plants from a trade. She didn't know what it was either. leaves are green on the top and purple on the bottom.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#95772 April 15th, 2006 at 05:08 AM
Sorry I don't know the name but it grows like crazy here outdoors it's heat tolerate and can get tall 12 -18" and is invasive(here) it blooms white or pink little flowers I find I'm pulling up more then I let grow because it truely takes over. If any one wants any just let me know!!otherwise it get dried out and put in my compost pile( I cuts off the roots and chop up the leaves because on my first compost it started growing and rooting in there :rolleyes: laugh laugh I've never tried it in a pot or container tho actually it probably will look quite nice in a containerand here I have found it grows in full sun and shade..

#95773 April 15th, 2006 at 06:16 AM
Is it a wandering Jew??? Tradescantia link for care, no pic

This looks like a good picture.

#95774 April 15th, 2006 at 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it's not a wandering jew.

i had one a couple of years ago. darn! can't remember the name of it!!

#95775 April 15th, 2006 at 10:47 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Rheo discolor (Moses in a Basket)?

#95776 April 15th, 2006 at 11:20 PM
S
S
It looks kinda like a Hawaiian Tye plant. There are several different colors...

#95777 April 15th, 2006 at 11:34 PM
Bill... This is what I have growing in my yard..
http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Tradescantia_spathacea

Rheo discolor/ Moses-in-the-boat
Kirksgirl is this it???
Some of it is striped and some are solid green and/or solid purple leaves

#95778 April 16th, 2006 at 10:15 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Diane that is not what I have although I don't want any reminds me too much of this purple wondering jew I have. Dig it up all the time seems like next day it is back. Will send some to anyone that want's this junk. plant it today next year it will be everywhere.
Jimmy

#95779 April 16th, 2006 at 10:59 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally posted by angelblossom:
Bill... This is what I have growing in my yard..
http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Tradescantia_spathacea

Rheo discolor/ Moses-in-the-boat
Kirksgirl is this it???
Some of it is striped and some are solid green and/or solid purple leaves
Yes, I do believe this is what I have. It is nice to have something that will grow really fast, I have lots of succulants and they take forever to see any changes in. I think it would be pretty outside as a groundcover.

#95780 April 17th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
I think it is What they call Moses in a Cradle,
thumbup thumbup bettyboop1948
flw

#95781 April 17th, 2006 at 04:09 AM
Hey Jimmy, wavey
Send me some i will take it lol,
i like the plant myself. flw
bettyboop1948

#95782 May 2nd, 2006 at 04:27 AM
P
P
I had an eerily similar plant and I think I've identified it as "Moses in a Cradle". A small plant was left in my office by someone and never really grew for a year. I took it home, and still nothing for another year and a half. I don't know what happened, but it has since (2 years) exploded to fill 2 large pots and I have cultivated and given away numerous cuttings. It has lots of little white flowers between the leaves.

I've been having some trouble with one of these moses plants over the past 6 months. A few of the leaves start to turn brown at the tips, and it creeps up the leaf until it looks like it's been burned. I thought it was a week of over-watering, but it hasn't recovered. The other pot is fine. Even cuttings are exhibiting the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cheers,
amy

ps. I have photos, but I don't know how to get them to show here

#95783 May 2nd, 2006 at 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
amy, start an account at photobucket.com

all you do is upload your pics to that site and then copy the IMAGE tag and put it in your post and the pic will show.

#95784 May 3rd, 2006 at 01:21 AM
I've been having some trouble with one of these moses plants over the past 6 months. A few of the leaves start to turn brown at the tips, and it creeps up the leaf until it looks like it's been burned. I thought it was a week of over-watering, but it hasn't recovered. The other pot is fine. Even cuttings are exhibiting the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with my Moses in the Cradle. I'll post the topic in houseplants.

Christina

#95785 May 16th, 2006 at 06:31 AM
Jimmy, it sounds as though what you have is what we around here commonly call "ink plant". Ours are a puple/blue color and they "bleed" ink looking stuff if the stems are cut. I know that these are popular plants in some places, have seen some in pinks, whites, and blues in a flower catalog a few years ago...they were selling them for like $3-5 a plant. However, in some places, they are invasive and many people call them weeds. They are NOT weeds!! They have a botanical name, but at the moment...I can't think of it. Anyways, if you have pink, white or some color besides purple I wouldn't mind a few. I actually LOVE these invasive fellows.

#95786 May 16th, 2006 at 06:35 AM
Jimmy, it sounds as though what you have is what we around here commonly call "ink plant". Ours are a puple/blue color and they "bleed" ink looking stuff if the stems are cut. I know that these are popular plants in some places, have seen some in pinks, whites, and blues in a flower catalog a few years ago...they were selling them for like $3-5 a plant. However, in some places, they are invasive and many people call them weeds. They are NOT weeds!! They have a botanical name, but at the moment...I can't think of it. Anyways, if you have pink, white or some color besides purple I wouldn't mind a few. I actually LOVE these invasive fellows.

Link Copied to Clipboard