This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9569 April 17th, 2003 at 04:04 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Has anyone else had problems with slugs? They are a terrible nuisance this year. If u don't watch it, they will eat everything u have. They like my cone flowers and espesially my asters. laugh gardendreamer@aol.com

#9570 April 17th, 2003 at 08:46 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Grrrrr.......hate those things. I never seem to be able to keep up with them! Every year it seems they get bigger and bigger......ewwwwwww!

#9571 April 18th, 2003 at 05:07 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Barb, i keep a good eye on my plants. I won't let the slugs get big...lol It's just aggravating having to spread slug bait around. I put out about 20 oriental poppies and 4 butterfly weed plants this evening.I automatically sprinkled slug bait around them when i got through.
I have read that slugs will travel;so, they may go from your neighbor's garden to yours! :rolleyes: gardendreamer03@aol.com

#9572 April 28th, 2003 at 10:33 AM
I
I
Hi!
I have the very same problem with those nasty little slugs in my garden.I hear you can buy copper to make a barrier around the base of the plant and slugs want touch them.I hear they can get an electric shock from the copper.Everytime I go to home depot I can never remember to look for the copper rings.I will now, since my hosta have already emerged this spring.I have a wonderful hosta bed and just added the blue hosta to my collection.Has anyone ever used this method on this board?
Ivy2003

#9573 April 28th, 2003 at 12:19 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Ivey, never heard of copper used in that way to stop slugs. If u know a web site let me know--would like to read about that product. It probably would be a logistical problem for my garden. I have hundreds of plants that slugs attack.Sounds interesting.
They have a turtle here in SC that eats slugs (lives on land). I've sat and watched one munching on snails and slugs one day. We just don't have enough of them (they are becoming scarace). gardendreamer03@aol.com

#9574 April 28th, 2003 at 03:50 PM
OK, gang
Here's another way to get rid of slugs. You put out saucers of beer. The little varmints love the stuff. They will crawl into the saucers and drown. (Sounds like a joke, doesn't it. I've heard it really works.) You just empty the saucers in the morning and start over. cool Good way to get rid of beer that's been sitting around too long! smile

#9575 April 28th, 2003 at 04:44 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Carol,what kind of beer u drink? wink hehehehe

#9576 April 28th, 2003 at 05:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I use crushed egg shells around my hostas, does a pretty good job until the end of the year when they render into the dirt and such. Also I have heard of the copper and the beer... I do two things, put out some cardboard (Wet and/or damp and keep it that way) near something I think they are eating.
In the day time when they are looking for a cool wet area to hang out, I just pick up the cardboard and you'll find alot of the slimmy things hanging around under it.... Take my little clippers from Fiskars (tiny thread cutting scissors I found at Wal~Mart CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST GAVE THEM A PLUG BECAUSE SOMETIMES I DON'T LIKE THAT STORE AND THEIR POLICIES WITH THE plant SECTION WHERE I LIVE, anyhow)....Back to the slugs, Then at night time I come out and close the "salad bar" down with the same scissors...just cut them up like slicing bread. Couple of minutes, nice to spend a few minutes again out doors on a nice night. It does cut down on them, can't ever completely get rid of them, as I understand it with the egg shells they can't cross anything that will cut up their underbelly. Even sand supposedly is too abrasive for the??? Copper shocks their slimy bodies but can get expensive....Put a sign out that says, Escargo served here, maybe they'll get the hint. (smile) wink

#9577 April 28th, 2003 at 06:21 PM
L
L
I'm going to have to try some of these things. I always drown the little beasties. I've found that the grocery store's 0.5% alcohol coolers works even better than beer to attract them.

#9578 April 29th, 2003 at 05:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Also, a thing I forgot about is called Diatomaceaous (die-a-toe-may-shus) Earth.
Will also do the trick that I said like sand or egg shells, This is a site I found on a Google search. I would imagine there was tons more but the info was right to the point. http://www.internet-grocer.net/diatome.htm

Although I never knew about the good bugs too??? I don't like hurting them......... smile

#9579 May 1st, 2003 at 03:46 PM
S
S
If you are looking for a product that will kill the slugs and not harm anything else may I suggest that you try Slug Bait by Safers. I tried it last year, they were just chowing down on my dahlias, and I only had to put it down once. They eat the bait and it fills them up to the point that they won't eat anymore and just crawl away and die. The best stuff I have ever used and I really didn't have to use that much. The product seems pricey but goes a long way. Hope this helps. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard