This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95559 August 3rd, 2004 at 04:32 PM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
These are growing around my yard in different places. They get kinda bushy, low to the ground, and are kinda fern like to me. Any ideas what this thing is?

#95560 August 4th, 2004 at 02:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Vetch ? Duh Duh

#95561 August 4th, 2004 at 11:17 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow Phil & Laura, I think you got it. I did a google on Vetch, and while mine looks a wee bit different, I do believe that's it. I did see one (before I got it with the mower) that had a long shoot coming out of it, but I thought it was a different weed inside of it..lol. I guess that was what was to be the flower that pops out of it. It was by my sidewalk, and I ran the mower right over all that stuff.

BTW, did ya see my post over in the fruits & veggies section? "All that's left.." is the title. I have pictures of my pumpkins there.

Meg

#95562 August 4th, 2004 at 03:15 PM
B
B
Glad you found out what it was. So frustrating not to know. There are a number of vetch's, yours looks like the yellow one. Crown vetch may be the picture you saw. That spreads more and grows higher and has woodier stems.

#95563 August 4th, 2004 at 11:31 PM
Is that, also, what this is? I've been wanting to post this because I'm wanting a ground covering to cover the hill that will have to be made to install the waterfall for my pond that I plan to put in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This last pic is from my neighbors yard. It looks like this would work fine for what I need it for. I have lots of it growing in my yard. I'm gonna pull some of it up & keep it growing in some flat pots til I can transplant it for my pond "hill" if it's vetch.

#95564 August 8th, 2004 at 05:52 PM
Just bumping this up...anyone know if mine is vetch & is there anything special I need to do to transplant it? It seems to be fine in the yard but I want to grow it in a pot then transplant it to my hill later.

#95565 August 8th, 2004 at 06:52 PM
L
L
Sorry I don't know what it is but it looks very much like a weed that I am always pulling out of my flower garden up here in Minnesota

Roger

#95566 August 8th, 2004 at 09:10 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sami...how about
spotted spurge weed

This is a weed here...at least in my yard .... persistant too ....you have to get the full root to get rid of it!
Duh

#95567 August 8th, 2004 at 09:33 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
There are a couple of spurges on that site...one that is more green without the spots may fit what you have???
What do you think??? Duh
kit

#95568 August 8th, 2004 at 10:03 PM
Yep! That's it, exactly! The link you put up, says when broken, it has a milky substance. I just happened to break one by accident the other day & it was milky! It grows everywhere in my yard & I've been finding it in my newer flower beds.

I was really hoping it was a ground cover because I don't have the money to invest & was hoping to use what was in my yard, LOL! laugh Guess I need to get rid of it...sure is pretty though, especially near my neighbors driveway, covering the rocks.

Thanks, Catlover! (Sorry, was having trouble posting)

#95569 August 8th, 2004 at 10:15 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Your Welcome....That search paid off for both of us...I found another weed I was trying to identify! thumbup

You know....weed's are just misplaced plants!
Does everyone think it is a weed? I know it is a weed on my property.LOL Went to turn on the sprinkler and looked right next to the handle and guess what....spotted spurge... :p laugh

I have been having the same problem posting...keep getting those stinken messages and then I can't get into the site. Grrrr
Bill is working on it....trust me ...for MANY HOURS!!! I make him aware of it almost everytime...He is sooo sick of me bugging him by now! laugh laugh
Let us know what you end up doing with that spurge!...if you decide to get rid of it....wet the area down real good and then pull out slowly and the whole root will come up! thumbup They go to seed pretty fast so get them before then.
kit

#95570 August 9th, 2004 at 05:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Congrats!!!
Catlover got a Mystery!!!
Woo~Hooooooooooooooooooooo!!! thumbup muggs teech
Great Job!!!

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard