This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9555 October 23rd, 2003 at 08:23 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Well some of you have already met my 'clay rose' which was actually a ghost plant, but I figured I'd introduce the rest of the gang.
Most of these are recent aquisitions so pointers on how to take care of them and where/whether or not to plant them would be cool. There's another one that I don't know what it is, and who knows if I've got the right name for the rest of them so feel free to correct me if you know better. wink

My big jade plant

I've had this plant longer than any of my others. It was pretty small when it started out, but it has really taken off under my care, leading me to make a couple cuttings from it...

Baby jades...and a cutting from a pothos

Blood Leaf

I like this plant because of the stunning deep purpleish red of the leaves. I only put it in a few weeks ago but it seems to be pretty happy.*

A bunch of randoms

From left to right:
Pink Polka Dot, English Ivy, Coleus, and in the background is a pineapple plant.

Golden Globe
This one is pretty, and even though it's only been hanging on the back porch for a few days it has already made a friend! Every time I go to water it, a bird flies out. I checked and there isn't a nest or anything though.

Peppermint
This little guy really took off when I first planted him, but isn't doing so well anymore.*

Sensitive Memosa
These things are fun! I can't decide if I should plant it or not because of the sensitivity to cold; I might have to move it indoors during the coldest part of the winter here.

Golden Shrimp Plant
This plant has been happy since I put it in the garden.*

Unknown
I'm not sure what the heck kind of plant this is, but I rescued it from certain doom. It had been abandoned outside of a dorm, under an awning where it could get no water and students would be gone for months. It's quite happy now and has even dropped an offspring.

baby Unknown

Momma plant was happy and dropped this one down past the pot and it rooted, so I cut them apart.

*If some of my plants look unhappy and beat up it's becuase they are. Some jerks from the condo association came and sprayed what seems to have been bleach on the sides of the apartment (and therefore, of course, all over my plants), not to mention that they trampled some of them in the garden. Some of the plants are dealing with this better than others. I'm afraid the peppermint plant is going to die, but I don't think I can do much of anything about it now. frown

#9556 October 23rd, 2003 at 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your plants are gorgeous! thumbup I wish I had the patience you seem to have. Enjoy them!!

#9557 October 23rd, 2003 at 03:57 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Boxmonkey,
Your plants look like they like you very much.
The jade is very nice looking. And babies too!
That Blood leaf looks quite interesting, is that an annual or I've never seen one before??

You got a pineapple top to grow>????

The peppermint one likes sun, and maybe pull back tha mulch away from it's base, might be too close?
And once established they can get a bit out of control..... Most gardeners keep that contained.
I personally don't because I love mints, I live in some one of a country area and have an area it can grow until it's hearts content!!!
But others in smaller gardens need to control it.
Have you tried ALL the mint plants? There's ton's of them, pineapple, chocolate, peppermint and spearmint, grapefruit. A bunch!!!!! They are all fun!!!

I used to have a mimosa when I was in elementary school, I touched it one too many times....
I think Bill can add a story to that one!

The one you called Golden Shrimp plant,
Bill had posted a picture of one of those in
our desk top of the day, Did we loose that one Bill??????????????????????????????????????????

Your unknown plant looks like some kind of wandering jew plant, I think Jiffy or Loz has
those, Whattya think girls?????????

Thanks for the look at your garden!!!
We always enjoy seeing plants!!
And tell those guys to get a hobby instead
of doing destruction, if they want to use that
bleach, they can come to my house, and clean with it, I'll put 'em to work.......

Weezie

#9558 October 23rd, 2003 at 05:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was thinking that the mystery plant looked very similar to my "moses in the basket" wandering jew. it is not cold hardy, but seems to come back every year for some people. I like the them, but his seem to have the leaves too close together. mine have about 5 inches between each leave node and it has only 2 leaves per node. the blooms are at the end of each runner and they only last a day or two, but are just beautiful!

#9559 October 23rd, 2003 at 05:17 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
It is definately a Moses in a Basket.... Rhoeo discolor

#9560 October 23rd, 2003 at 05:33 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Wow, Weezie! That was way back in June when I posted that Golden Shrimp pix... You solved another Mystery plant without even knowing it!
grinnnn

#9561 October 23rd, 2003 at 07:35 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the compliments on the plants.

Weezie:
I'm not sure about the bloodleaf, it was in with the perennials, but I looked it up and it's listed as a perennial and as an annual, so I really have no idea.

My pineapple top seems to be doing alright, I planted it a couple months ago and it hasn't died so it must be alive. wink

My peppermint is in a good position to get lots of sunlight, so that's good. I know how crazy peppermint can get with spreading everywhere and that is just fine by me. When I still lived with my parents we had some near the door and it was wonderful being greeted by the smell of peppermint whenever I came home.

It looks like the unknown is definitely a moses in a basket, another mystery solved!

#9562 October 23rd, 2003 at 10:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Boxmonkey,
Make sure you go to
the Desk Top of the Day,
Check out the pictures Bill posted!
Weezie

#9563 October 24th, 2003 at 01:42 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Loved your plant pics.....they do look healthy and happy!

thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard