This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Onion seeds. Did I mess up?
#95471 February 13th, 2007 at 12:27 AM
OP Offline
HELP!!!!!!!!! sca

I wanted to plant my white onions seeds inside to start them and later on transplant them into my garden. I got a long, short, clear tote with a lid and a bag of potting soil, putting a 3 inch layer across the bottom. Then I watered that well and places another thin layer of dry soil across that. Very carefully I shook the seeds onto the soil, trying to get them as diversified as possible across the tote. I then sprayed the seeds with a little water and shook a thin layer of soil on top of them. Then I put the lid on but didnt snap it down in hopes of a getting a little green house effect going on.

That was a couple of weeks ago and now I have cute little shoots coming out of the soil. I think I did pretty good, but I am now been told that they wont be able to be planted outside because if I do they will die. I was kinda hoping to do the same to my winter onions. Did I really mess them up or will they survive?

I know I might have gone a little over board in the preping stage but it worked.

Re: Onion seeds. Did I mess up?
#95472 February 13th, 2007 at 12:35 AM
Dont worry they will be fine!
onions are quite tough, and they dont mind being transplanted.

#95473 February 13th, 2007 at 01:23 AM
If I had more space I would like to try that.

#95474 February 13th, 2007 at 01:28 AM
OP Offline
Mine are sitting on my kitchen table (we dont use it) close to the windows along with my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. all are doing great (so far)

#95475 February 15th, 2007 at 02:52 PM
M
MLN Offline
M
Kristy,
Just make sure you "harden" them off first. Move them out in stages. I usually move mine out to a window in my garage first--leave them there for a few days to a week, then pick an overcast day to plant them (or you could plant them in the evening).

Marleine

Link Copied to Clipboard