This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9532 February 12th, 2003 at 05:29 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I'm building a pavillion and plan on building a 3ft rock wall around the exterior. On one side of the pavillion i would like to build some flower boxes using the same rock. Can anybody reccomend the ideal dimmensions (as fas as depth and height) for a flower box? They will be built on the ground and i can make them as high as i want (of course u need to keep in mind that they will be up against the 3 ft rock wall). I don't want it to look funny. The boxes will be like a raised flower bed. I have the option of digging down deeper into my "wretched" clay soil if i need more depth and replace the the clay with prepared soil. Hope i made sense...
:rolleyes: Marketman25@aol.com

#9533 February 21st, 2003 at 09:03 PM
A
A
I would think that a depth of one foot, starting from ground level would look in good proportions against the wall and would provide more than adequate depth for most annuals and perennial flowers. At this depth, I don't think there would be any need to disturb the native soil, just backfill with a well draining, high quality planting mix. For flower boxes and container gardens, I like a mix of equal parts bagged topsoil, mushroom compost and soil conditioner.

Width, I'd go at least a foot also, more depending on your personal preference.

Sounds like a beautiful project. Good luck.

#9534 February 22nd, 2003 at 05:36 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the advice for flower boxes. Now i need to decides what to put in them. My instincts tell me to go with something permanent (like ferns or perrenials) because i like maintenance free, but then i might get bored looking at the same thing all the time! marketman25@aol.com

#9535 February 26th, 2003 at 07:26 AM
A
A
If low maintenance and variety through the seasons is a priority, bulbs intermingled with permanent plants would be great. You'd get constantly changing color, and little maintenance. Using crocus, narcissus, and asiatic lilies, and daylilies would give you blooms in three different seasons.

Mixing evergreens in with whatever you choose will give you winter structure. Rosemary is one of my favorites for raised beds and boxes.

Link Copied to Clipboard