This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9526 July 12th, 2003 at 09:28 AM
J
jriddle Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is there anything you can do for a yellowing lawn during a hot summer besides running up the water bill?
I put down an organic fertilizer in late spring, but the whole thing is going patchy brown.
Any suggestions?

#9527 July 12th, 2003 at 06:39 PM
R
R
Some lawn grasses naturally go yellow/brown in the heat of summer. Don't know how far south you are but here in Vancouver, BC we have "cool-season" grasses and that's what they do. Grow like crazy in the cool weather of spring and fall then slow down in summer.
Besides water and fertilizer try cutting the grass less often and a bit higher. When you cut, leave the clippings on the lawn if they are not too thick. They will break down quickly and provide a natural source of nitrogen fertilizer as well as conserve moisture and keep the top layer of soil and the grass cool by acting as a mulch.
When you water, water infrequently but deeply. That means leave the sprinkler on longer but less often. This develops stronger roots.
If you're concerned about having awful looking long grass remember, long grass is better than no grass.

#9528 July 13th, 2003 at 03:27 PM
J
jriddle Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks! I'll try the longer watering less often. My friend recommended keeping the mower at 3 inches. Is that long enough?
It's a handmower, so I don't know if it is cutting to short.

#9529 July 14th, 2003 at 06:36 AM
B
B
Jriddle,
I've always read/heard that your grass should always be at least 2 1/2 inches high. 3 inches sounds even better in drought condition. Grass going dormant is just a way for the grass to survive difficult conditions. Be careful not to vacillate between a green grass and dormancy because it will put more stress on the grass. If you water, you must water deeply. Put a glass jar amongst the sprinkler so your clear on how much water your putting on.
Weezie told me about rain barrells. These are barrells that attach to the downspouts so you have water reserve. They are about $85-$100 each. Expensive! Anyway, good luck with your lawn. It may be too late this year, but in future years, you'll know how to handle it.

--Bunny T. smile smile

Link Copied to Clipboard