This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9505 May 20th, 2003 at 07:23 AM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Birds have been digging out little clumps of grass in my yard. In one day I had 20 something holes in my lawn. I don't see any evidence of grubs. Does any one know why or what they are doing?

#9506 May 20th, 2003 at 09:25 AM
M
M
Aside from grubs, I don't know what else it could be. Did you put seed down recently?

#9507 May 20th, 2003 at 12:23 PM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I put seed in my front yard but not my back. A few days ago I had a lawn maint. company fertilize my lawn. I realy don't see any signs of grubs. confused

#9508 May 20th, 2003 at 07:19 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Bunny are you lucky to have really good soil? Maybe the good earthworms are near the surface and that is what they are going after. :rolleyes: There is supposedly a way to test for grubs by using a bucket of water with liquid dishsoap. They are suppose to come to the surface. Better read up on this I don't want you to kill your grass. Let us know what happens curious catlover cool

#9509 May 21st, 2003 at 02:16 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Bunny,
Questions?
Are actually seeing the birds do this?

Do you have big night crawlers in your yard?

How big are the clumps?

This is just a thought but if you have night crawlers (not just regular little worms) in your yard....What they do is tunnel through the ground and at the end of the tunnel or the top of your lawn they bring out or push out all of the stuff they pushed through to make the tunnel. But they also seem to take pieces of debris from around the hole and mix it in with their castings.....creating a mound to cover the hole, then when the birds are in your lawn they know that's where to look for the worms so they scratch into those openings hoping for lunch....Which might create the patches of grass being torn out. That's if you actually see the birds doing this.
Hope this helps!
Weezie smile

#9510 May 21st, 2003 at 04:40 AM
F
F
Two thoughts come to my mind because i have experienced the same problem in my yard.
Last year i had a bad grub infestation. When this becomes a problem, they tend to be close to the surface of your grass (eating the roots of your grass). Many different animals will forage for them. I've had crows, raccons, and possibly skunks making holes all over my yard.

My second thought is SQUIRRELS!!!! I've finally got those suckers under control. I call them "tree rats" They are constantly digging holes in my yard (either burying or digging up accorns). If u have no squirrels or oak trees, than i would look at the grub problem. I if u have a bountiful supply of night crawlers, the moles will go crazy for them. Are the holes really deep and continuous?
One thing i'm almost quite sure of, there is some sort of food in your grass, whether it be grubs, accorns, or nightcrawlers!

#9511 May 21st, 2003 at 05:30 AM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I do have big fat worms throughout my garden and compost bin but I don't dig up my yard often enough to know if they are throughout the yard. I have seen the birds plucking out tufts of grass in the yard and also tufts of dirt/compost in the garden. Is it possible I could have grubs without having dead grass? I'll check out that web sight about the test for grubs. Thanks again!! smile

#9512 May 21st, 2003 at 05:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Bunny,
That's probly it with the worms, especially if you compost....They attrack the big worms. ( I have 7 bins and 2 large piles) I have many, many worms and that's what my birds do.
Unfortunately we also have the Japanese beetle grub underground too and they're after them too!!!
If it's anything else, let us know!!
If all else fails, call your local co~operative extentsion for area, there might be something us folks don't know about?
Weezie smile

#9513 May 22nd, 2003 at 05:37 AM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Weezie (great screen name) and everyone for your help. I'll assume it's the worms (which would be a good problem to have). I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks again! smile

#9514 May 22nd, 2003 at 04:04 PM
F
F
U can definately have grubs without having dead grass. Grubs are actually beneficial to a certain degree. They break down rotting materials in your soil and also aireate (sp) it. They will always be there. It's when they INFEST a yard and start devouring the roots of your grass. In a drought situation this is particualrly devastating.

#9515 May 23rd, 2003 at 06:27 AM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Bob, I've seen a grub here and there over the years working in my yard but never to any great degree. I read something about the number of grubs per square foot or yard or something would tell you if you have a problem. My grass looks pretty healthy right now (as I knock on wood)and will continue to be proactive. Thanks!! cool

#9516 May 28th, 2003 at 02:23 PM
B
Bunny Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey, I think I figured the birds and grass thing out. I watered by garden and grass etc. the other day and had all kinds of birds squawking at me. As soon as I turned the water off and walked away, they started going through my garden and grass obviously looking for worms. Thanks everyone for your help and concern. wink

#9517 May 28th, 2003 at 06:20 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's what I thought!!
My 2 year old loves to watch the birds looking for lunch... He says "hung~ge!!!
And my other son collects the castings.... Gives him something to keep him busy!!!
I was talking with Karen (Catlover) about the vermaculturing (worm castings) and how good it is for your soil.... Some day I will get into that, just got my hands full with the "young~in's"!!!!
My Uncle has the same problem in Colorado and it drives him nuts (with the clumps in the lawn) and I said I should be so lucky to have that problem!!
Happy Composting!! Keep up the good work!!
Weezie wink

Link Copied to Clipboard