This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
I found this in my back yard as well...Any ideas?
It blooms in the morning and the blooms close by afternoon.

plants/127_2725.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Here is a shot of the plants...

plants/127_2726.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I have found so many this year because I am a new stay-at-home mom and our lawnmower is broken. Some of the stuff I have found usually gets mown down, others, I never had time to notice last year. Almost all of it I have no idea what it is...lol Duh grinnnn

I know what that is!!! Its one of my favorite flowers. We call it "ink plant", it is quite hardy. Will die in fall but will multiply in spring (you'll have more than the one plant). Its true name is Tradescantia virginiana and there are other colors of it (pink, blue, purple, and I think maybe white). Saw it in a gardening catalog once for $5 a plant!! Its a keeper in my book. But be careful with herbasides, weed killers (especially narrow leaf ones will eradicate it). In our area of FL it is considered invasive. If you break a stem, it will "bleed" a blue/purple substance thus the name (ink plant). This plant grows in most any soil, sun or partial shade. But does best in full sun. Doesn't really need fertilizing and has tubular roots. You can transplant it, but like I said, it will multiply next year. So, might be best to put it in a bed by itself...

You can read more about it here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Tradescantia+virginiana&CAN=LATIND

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TRVI

More photos\' here

P
P
Its tradescantia. There's another variety which has purple leaves and pink flowers.

It's tradescantia - we know it as spiderwort here.

Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!! I knew I had seen this before! I actually moved it to this location 2 days ago and it didn't even wilt. Very hardy, indeed!

clp my friend just sent me some! Yay!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
(just shortened your URL on the one, that's all) thumbup

And yes, I concur on the tradescantia.. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard