This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94717 June 20th, 2006 at 03:49 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I love posting in this forum, but it sure would be handier if Walmart would have all their plants marked!! I liked this shade of green, & I know that they'll make flowers in a few days (...if the deer don't get to the other 3 first!) mad

Anybody know what they are? [Linked Image]

#94718 June 20th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
I think they might be zinnias. At least that is what the leaves remind me of. I'm sure someone will be along before to long and let you know exactly what they are!

Sarah

#94719 June 20th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
P
P
Cant place the plant-have definitely seen it. The leaves remind me of zinnias as well but the upper part looks different Duh

#94720 June 20th, 2006 at 09:08 AM
I think those are sweet peas.

#94721 June 20th, 2006 at 10:50 AM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
I have Sweet Peas growing, & they're climbers, so I know it's not a Sweet Pea. (These are much larger... I should have put a ruler by them when I took the pic.) The upturned leaves DO resemble them though.

Don't Zinnias have darker green foliage? (These are chartreuse.)

If they DO turn out to be Zinnias, does each plant only put out 1 flower? Duh (I'm just wondering if the one the deer snacked on is going to make another flower, or if I should just regard what's left as "texture" or something!) :rolleyes:

#94722 June 20th, 2006 at 10:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not too sure they are zinnias.....they leaves do look like them though....I have at least 50 zinnias growing in my garden and the leaves don't point up like that....and they put a flower out when they were half the size of that.... Duh BUT, if they are zinnias they should produce many flowers, not just one...they kind of branch off.

#94723 June 21st, 2006 at 11:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They look Godetia to me.

#94724 June 22nd, 2006 at 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
& I know that they'll make flowers in a few days
Any flowers yet Patty? wavey

#94725 June 22nd, 2006 at 05:07 PM
O
O
They resemble my balloon flowers, but my plants have toothed leaf edges.

#94726 June 24th, 2006 at 03:42 PM
This flower looks like a Gloriosa lily to me. So I had to register and post to tell you.

Here is a link to look for yourself. http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/inde...OVKEY=gloriosa%20lily&OVMTC=standard

#94727 June 24th, 2006 at 05:21 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! Thanks, Carla... it'll be sooo cool, if it turns out to be a lily, because I've decided that I'm partial to them! I have fencing up in front of that bed now, & as soon as I get a blossom, I'll be back. [Linked Image]

By the way, I love your screen name... welcome to the forum! [Linked Image] I'm looking forward to getting to know you, & am glad that you registered & came in here to help out! (I'm forever buying plants that don't have ID markers in them, so this place comes in pretty handy.) Hope to see you again soon... & often! flw

#94728 June 30th, 2006 at 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any pictures of the blooms yet?

#94729 July 1st, 2006 at 12:56 AM
Patty - I have this same flower - Weezie correctly identified it for me last year, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. It gets teensy pink flowers - one of mine just came into bloom today.

Here are some pictures of it from last year:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#94730 July 1st, 2006 at 12:25 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image] Am I going to love these, or what?
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] PURPLE! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

OK, Weezie... Your turn!

Thanx, Lynne! kissies

#94731 July 1st, 2006 at 12:54 PM
R
R
looks like garden phlox or tall phlox

#94732 July 1st, 2006 at 10:59 PM
I would lean more toward Phlox Divaricata, the Wild Blue Phlox. The flowers are in loose clusters as opposed to the tight clusters of Garden Phlox. The Wild Blue Phlox has a somewhat sticky stem if that is any help. smile

http://www.bsu.edu/web/fseec/environment/ECI/FloraECI/Phlox_divaricata.htm

#94733 July 2nd, 2006 at 12:25 AM
Looks like some of my lily's

#94734 July 8th, 2006 at 04:55 AM
They also look like phlox to me. I have them in my yard and they look exactly like that.

#94735 August 7th, 2006 at 10:14 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
There were some interesting guesses here, & they all seemed to have a similar characteristic of one kind or another, to the plant in my first photo... but it didn't turn out to be Lynne's flower (that she couldn't remember the name of), & it also isn't a lily of any kind, or Zinnia, or Sweet pea, or Balloon flower, or Godetia, or any type of Phlox....

[Linked Image]
It's a Lisianthhus. I think they come in a few different colors, but I happened to get PURPLE! [Linked Image]

I apologize for not getting back here sooner... When I first got the plants & posted the photo, I thought the buds that were on them would open up any day, (simply because they were buds!) NOPE! The buds just kept getting bigger, & the first flower didn't open up for another three weeks! (As you can see, there are many blossoms on each stalk... they just get better & better!) By then, my daughter had arrived from Maui & I was busy packing for our trip to Cedar Hill & points north, so I didn't have a chance to get back here. (Things are back to "normal", & I'm just now trying to get caught up on everything that I'd left hanging!)

I'm finding out that not only do Lisianthus flowers last for several weeks, but they're wonderful as cut flowers! I broke a plant off by accident last week (The stems break VERY easily), & worked it into an arrangement to take to a friend in the hospital. I went to see her again today, & the flowers look as good as they did the very first day!
[Linked Image]

By the way... in my second post here, I asked:
(I'm just wondering if the one the deer snacked on is going to make another flower, or if I should just regard what's left as "texture" or something!)
It grew back & is making flowers! clp

#94736 August 7th, 2006 at 10:25 PM
Beautiful bouquet Patty!

And that lisianthus is so much prettier than the flower I thought it was! thumbup
Interesting how similar the stem and leaves are though...

I had a small lisianthus last year - purple too - but it did not compare with your oh-so-pretty ones here!

#94737 August 7th, 2006 at 11:00 PM
Patty, those are just gorgeous. I'm so glad you ended up with them. I've tried growing them a couple of times but they just can't hack our Okie summers. I may give it another shot next year and try them in one of my more shaded beds that only gets a couple of hours of sun in the early morning. I really think they are a beautiful flower!

#94738 August 8th, 2006 at 07:22 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
Rosie, these are in a bed next to the south side of my house, in full sun all day long, so I wouldn't think your Okie summers are the problem. Duh We're in a hot, dry climate here, but have had a hotter-than-usual summer so far... with temps reaching 110-115* (normally, we peak out at 105*). All I can say is that I keep them well watered, & the soil in that garden is actually probably pretty poor! (Some of the other plants in that same bed are Gazania, Tomatillo, & Shasta Daisy.)

Maybe Lisianthus does well in partial shade, but I don't know, as this is the first year I've ever even seen these flowers! (This being my first full growing season with ANY flowers, there are probably LOTS of flowers I haven't seen yet!) nutz

I don't know yet, how they make their seeds or what they look like (I bought these as little plants in the middle of June), but I'm sure going to watch for them, because I want HUNDREDS of them in my garden next year!

I do hope you'll have success with them next year, because they ARE absolutely gorgeous!
(I'm entering mine in the County Fair this week!) [Linked Image]

#94739 August 8th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
Hey, good luck with your Fair entry. They are certainly gorgeous enough to win a Blue Ribbon!

I think next year I'll try to find some bedding plants rather than attempt starting from seeds. I don't have the patience or good luck with seeds. I want it NOW!!! lol!

Thanks for the information on yours. From what I've been reading, the seeds are very tiny and difficult to germinate. Or I should say, a very low rate of germination. I think I still have one package of seeds in the fridge. I may try to Winter Sow them just for giggles. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard