This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9463 June 29th, 2003 at 06:19 AM
B
OP Offline
B
We planted some morning glories anout two months ago and the vines are about ten feet high now. The problem is...there are no flowers. Does anyone know what could cause this to happen? Thanks, Barb

#9464 June 29th, 2003 at 06:30 AM
Hi Barb,

I guess you're new here? Welcome.

I can't answer your question specifically about morning glories, but I know that, in general, one of the reasons plants won't bloom is because they're not getting enough sun. Most of my gardens are in partial shade. I've planted the occasional full sun plant there, and while the foliage might be OK, they have routinely refused to flower, or flower at best minimally.

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, and the more experienced gardeners here can list them for you, but that at least is my own personal experience.

BTW, I planted morning glories in several spots in my garden. I planted late, so they're only a couple feet high yet. But I planted in both full sun and partial shade. Right now the sun and partial shade ones are growing about equally. I'm curious to see what happens when they get big enough to flower. My guess is that the full sun ones will bloom profusely, and the partial shade ones won't.

Ronni

#9465 June 29th, 2003 at 07:23 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello babsntexas,
Welcome to our gardening forum, great bunch of gardeners here, lot's to help you out!!

I personally use two different things for my blooms.

#1. I use a water soluable 10~60~10.
(high middle no. for blooms and roots)
Great time to use is at planting for shock.
#2. I use "Spray~n~Grow" from QVC, it's a
micro~nutrient for your plants, not a fertilizer, you're suppose to consider it as
a vitamin, but it's for the blooms, I've written in previous posts I'm in the test stages of it, but so far is a thumbs up!!!
I have used it for veggies, that are getting a late planting due to weather in the NE. but I've sprayed in original containers and have been planting in the last 2 weeks and things are popping. And have blooms on them very early compared to last years.
I also only compost and compost manure, so I get my nitrogen for the plants through their roots, not the foliar.
That's what the sprayngrow is, foliar feedings.
Especially in less than perfect conditions like low light!!! Get a little more bang for your buck!!
It's organic and I like that.
And it's also great for instant feeding on leaves in planting shock!!!!

Anymore questions, let us know!!!!
Weezie wink

#9466 June 29th, 2003 at 08:20 AM
A
A
No offense to Weezie, but you should never fertilize morning glories. They prefer very lean soil, and will actually flower less if you fertilize...you'll get lots of leaves with little or no flowers. Is the soil where you planted them very fertile, or did you fertilize them? If so, that may be why they aren't blooming. And as already mentioned, full sun is best as well. Hopefully, they will start flowering for you soon.

#9467 June 29th, 2003 at 11:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alakhart,
You're absolutely right about the lack of fertilization on some plants....
They bloom when you just give them a pile of crappy dirt and some sun...

In general I meant for the blooms for that stuff.

But you ought to try that "Spray~n~Grow" also, it's seems to be doing good in my garden... And I sprayed lupines with it and things that seemed never to bloom before. (peonies, and even got most of the second, third and forth buds to bloom.)

So, I agree, no fertilization for some plants and no ammended soil....

But sometimes, when they're not in the right optimal location a little tiny boost won't hurt the situatuion.

Weezie wink shocked cool :p confused wink

#9468 June 29th, 2003 at 04:58 PM
M
M
I am having a different problem with my morning glories--something is eating on the folage. I do not see what, but they are taking quite a bit! What can I use that is safe for my pets and won't harm the plants themselves? eek

#9469 June 30th, 2003 at 09:06 AM
A
A
That "Spray and Grow" stuff sounds really great...I'm gonna have to give it a try...I need all the help I can get! :-)

#9470 June 30th, 2003 at 07:18 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
msbidet,
Welcome to the Gardening Forum,Lot's of great gardeners and looking froward to having you on board.
Check some of the previous posts on slugs,
Lot's of good info there and more than likely
your problem....
Hope this helps!!!!
Let us know what your outcome is..........

Weezie wink

Link Copied to Clipboard