This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9447 November 4th, 2003 at 09:39 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
looking to add some purple foliage plants to some spots in yard.would like to know what all is out there& if will grow sun/shade/full shade.........I have one spot that is full shade is 12 ft at back of a shed.shed is gold with black trim.
also if it blooms or not and what time of yr it blooms.plus needs to be "hades resistant for 40 days of hell" I don't mind watering 4 times a day

#9448 November 4th, 2003 at 11:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Njoynit,
One that comes to mind immediately is
the Purple Sweet potato Vine~"Blackie"
I think it is, looks awesome with the
lime green one, somebody had in a
mystery picture, was it you???
Can't remember, Brain Drain!!!
I'm pooped!!
(I have been in the yard, most of the day,
pulling, raking, chopping, throwing, rollin'
walking, sat down to eat an apple with the
wee~one, then we walked and picked up the
oldest from school and now the wee~ones taking
a quick nap and I'm back outside for more grueling
work, but I love it, it was about 60 )

I'll look up somemore tonight!!! wavey
muggs

#9449 November 5th, 2003 at 01:05 AM
Hmmm... idea I saw a neat purple ivy looking thing at the nursery on Sunday...if i get a chance I'll go back and get the name for you. I didn't look at it too close, I was on a mission for some star jasmine... laugh

#9450 November 5th, 2003 at 03:25 AM
Njoynit, how about Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart'? Here's a pic:

Purple Heart

It's a perrenial, hardy in zones 8a thru 11. Tolerates sun to part shade, very drought tolerant (recommended for xeriscaping).
Blooms throughout the year with small pink flowers, which are rather insignificant, it's grown for it's purple to burgundy foliage.
Makes an excellent ground cover, but if not restrained can become invasive.
It is very easily propagated by cuttings.

Will post others as I think of them... idea

Nikkal

#9451 November 5th, 2003 at 08:08 AM
N
N
How about oxalis regnellii - purple shamrock. It can be a bit invasive but easy to pull out. Doesn't like it colder than zone 7b even though this site says it will take it. I brought in some last winter and the ones I left outside didn't make it. We did have a particularly hard winter though.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00589.html

There's also a corydalis with purple leaves.
http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/perennials/CorydalisPurpleLeaf.html

How about purple leafed sage - salvia officinalis 'purpurea'.
http://www.gilbertiesherbs.com/herb_guide/gilb_hg_results_main.cfm?nameValue=Purple%20Sage

There's also purple ruffles basil - Ocimum basilicum 'Purple Ruffles'.
http://www.gilbertiesherbs.com/herb...n.cfm?nameValue=Purple%20Ruffles%20Basil

Newt

#9452 November 5th, 2003 at 07:17 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I have the purple heart .i know it as purple jew.it does flower great as long as i keep breaking pieces off and sticking in ground or in pots.have 3 containers of it and a few in ground around tree with my aujuga& hosta.the hanging basket one needs divided again.they get petty rooty
I was watching HGTV when seen some purple shamrock.it is what caused me to think of purple foliaged plants to add elsewhere in yard.they had grown as a groundcover was hosta and some kind of purple shrub that had plum in the name
I have some seeds for purple ruffles basil& i grow the blackie sweet potato vine& some wandering jew vine(it grows darker in shaded spot)oh and have some mullin seeds that will be purple

#9453 November 5th, 2003 at 08:49 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Ohhhhh Nikkal another mystery solved and you didn't even know it! I have the purple heart in a hanging basket....will tag it! Thanx kit

#9454 November 5th, 2003 at 09:13 PM
A
A
There are several purple leaved Heuchera cultivars, such as 'Palace Purple', which grow well in shade.

#9455 November 6th, 2003 at 04:51 AM
Glad I could help, Catlover kit , even if it was by accident!! laugh laugh

Nikkal

#9456 November 12th, 2003 at 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nikkal, I always knew purple heart as moses in the basket. I like the purple heart name better. have a pot of it to bring in for the winter.

Link Copied to Clipboard