This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#94517 July 29th, 2003 at 03:02 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Another mystery photo submitted for identification....

[Linked Image]

#94518 July 29th, 2003 at 03:09 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
Its pretty hard to tell for sure, due to the wilted condition, but to me this looks like a hunk of Coleus that hasn't had enough light to bring out its vivid colors...

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/coleus.html
[Linked Image]

:rolleyes: frown shocked confused :p

#94519 July 29th, 2003 at 04:54 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Just observing I don't think so. The leaves on the first one LOOK thicker and have smaller leaves?????
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Catlover

#94520 July 30th, 2003 at 05:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Karen you are right. Bill, I have a coleus cutting that is growing nicely. But the cutting in the photo has a growth habit more like a baby's tears. bushy with trailing pieces "falling" out of the pot. the leaves are fleshier than either, and the stem is thicker than a baby's tears, but not as thick as a coleus. And it wasn't really wilted, but rather not happy about being put on the scanner! Thanks for the help!!

#94521 July 30th, 2003 at 05:49 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Jiffymouse

For some reason I feel he knows what all these plants are and it is a quiz for "US" here on the forum. Man Bill we might actually have to use our brains for once. Bad enough when WE have a mystery plant and get frustrated trying to figure it out, now we have to worry about yours. J/K I at least like the challenge! Now you can tell us what it really is....?????????
:rolleyes: Catlover shocked

#94522 July 30th, 2003 at 06:56 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
It's not my cutting, nor is it a test (hmmmmmmm...... maybe I should test you with a few closeups...) I still think it's a Coleus, but I've been wrong on a lot of these already. Hopefully, we will get a chance to see it again after it roots and starts to grow!
:p smile frown shocked :rolleyes: confused

#94523 July 30th, 2003 at 06:57 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
A trait that it looks like it has is.....
it's able to root anywhere's along it's stem.
Look at the stem on the bottom, it has
roots not only near the nodes, but along the stem in between.........
Just an observation????
Weezie
And it looks to me like some kind of mum????

#94524 July 30th, 2003 at 09:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weezie,
Not a mum, no dead heads or evidence of dead heads on the mother plant. no evidence of any kind of bloom at all... frown :p

#94525 July 30th, 2003 at 09:49 AM
D
D
I'm probably wrong, but even so, that cutting looks to me like a button mum, although the cane doesn't look woody enough. Any more info on that cutting besides the pic? My other guess would be geranium, but what do I know? laugh laugh :p

#94526 July 30th, 2003 at 10:46 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'd like to see a picture of the cutting,
without the purple leaves showing.
Just green!
Possible?
Weezie wink

#94527 July 30th, 2003 at 11:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The underside of the leaves are purple and the tops start out green at the center, spread to a purplish shade, then finish up green at the edges.

The plant doesn't have the tale-tale odor of a geranium. And no, it isn't woody enough for either a mum or geranium.

#94528 July 30th, 2003 at 03:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jiffy,
Was it bought at a store or a weed??
Weezie

#94529 July 30th, 2003 at 07:09 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Need to post this in a section where Will Creed will see it! Don't know if he looks under this section of the forum. I'm in agreement about not being a geranium.
Catlover :rolleyes:

#94530 July 30th, 2003 at 07:30 PM
L
L
Definitely not a geranium. It does look something like a plant that I have growing in the shade. I don't recall the name of it right now but the leaves look very much like these although I am not sure if they are purple underneath.

#94531 July 31st, 2003 at 06:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Store had 2 pots of it without any kind of id information or even a price tag... picked up the cutting off the table. is growing quite well in it's water bottle... :rolleyes:

#94532 July 31st, 2003 at 06:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
So it's a house plant or outside?
Was the store a nursery or
what kind of store was it?

I was thinking out door plants originally??

I would agree with Karen to post it in the houseplant section......
For Will Creed to see
Or even Alan K. Hart,
he seems to have an eye for these plants!!!
Weezie wink

#94533 July 31st, 2003 at 07:59 AM
P
P
Could it be Lamb's Quarters (CHENOPODIUM album)? The mature leaves are triangle shaped, some have smoooth edges, others are lobed or wavy edged, topside are dull green and underside are purple.

#94534 July 31st, 2003 at 09:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checked out Lamb's quarters and that's not it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#94535 July 31st, 2003 at 01:31 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I agree NOT Lamb's quarters!
Catlover

#94536 August 1st, 2003 at 07:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, I have to bring this back to the top... Weezie, Hope you are feeling better, sorry I didn't answer your questions about the plant before now. the store was the wonderful wally world... the pots were with a mix of house and landscape plants. No id, no info, no one to ask... so, the good news is the cutting is doing well in my office, I just don't know what it is!! If all else fails, we will find out as it grows!! smile

#94537 August 2nd, 2003 at 06:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jiffy,
Ya know with the way the roots looked along the stem, it looks like a plant that is pretty hardy.
I had been interested in plants that do that since the beginning of summer when I was potting up some plants, I was trying to give my son and tenants son a project to do to keep them busy, and we went shopping and let them pick out plants to pot up in there tree house that they share. So when we got home they wanted to play more than plant and so you know who got to finish up the job. But in the plants that they bought was an argeratum (Kyle loves the flower) the plant had fallen over and all up and down the stem, there were roots, I never knew that about this plant. I just was reading that the lillies are another plant that is able to do that...I'm not sure about day lillies, I believe that it was the Orientals, Trumpets, Orienpets, Asian ones............
Just thought I'd mention that. I'd be very interested to know what the plant is when you find out.

I would post that picture in the house plants and see if Will can give it a guess,or Alankhart or Barb, or Nikkal or Carol or Bess or maybe even the plant Doctor or the list goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whaddya think?????

Weezie wink

#94538 August 2nd, 2003 at 07:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The growth habit is similar to a coleus. However, coleus' have square stems and this cutting appears to have round stems in the photo.

My guess is that it may be in the Plectranthus genus, of which the Swedish ivy is a member, along with 350 others.

It might also be a weed!

#94539 August 2nd, 2003 at 09:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
smile Well, Will gets the prize with Bill a close runner up!! Based on the research I did on this plant, using Will's suggested Plectranthus genus, and it does belong to that group. It isn't swedish ivy (or what we used to call "creeping Charlie" but it is a cousin. And Bill, the coleus was listed on several sites as being a cousin too! After it grows, I will send a better picture, but just wanted to let you know, Will got it!! smile smile smile laugh laugh laugh

#94540 August 2nd, 2003 at 02:52 PM
L
L
This is a picture of the plant I have growing in my garden that I thought it resembled. Is this plant in the same family as the original plant? I don't recall the name of the plant I have growing in my garden but I know that I bought it because it would do well in the shade.

flowers/mystery_plant.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#94541 August 2nd, 2003 at 02:54 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I figured he would!!
I was putting a wager on Alankhart though.
He came through with the purple salvia.

Weezie

You didn't buy it a W~W did you???? LOL wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard