This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9440 January 31st, 2003 at 09:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, first time on site, please, someone have experience with bugonvilla, sunset magizine(just means I paid triple) tree version. I have had black spots, on the back side of the leaves, all the leaves have fallen off, now buds appear, but black dots are coming back. I live in Los Angeles, they get over one half day sun, soil is organic in nature, hot weather, water twice, total soaking, cooler weather, once a week. I have had nothing but heart ache, I am desperate, I am now using...schultz, all purpose, two weeks and still coming back. I am obsessive now, and will be mental if this gets the best of me. I keep going back to nursery, usless, can anyone relate, tell me what are the pests, and how on gods green earth can I get rid of them and enjoy the natural wall I wanted to create for privacy, which is now twigs with buds that may not bloom.
thank you so much,
maxfield confused [email]null[/email]

#9441 February 21st, 2003 at 09:46 PM
A
A
First, I would water according to a days per week schedule, I would switch to watering when the soil actually felt like it was getting dry an inch or two below the surface. Second, if they are in pots, make sure you have excellent drainage. drill more holes if need be. Bougainvillea prefers extremely well drained soil, a little sandy but with plenty of fertile organics mixed in.

Concerning the black spots, if they are part of the leaf, not raised bumps ie. scale insects, it is likely to be a fungus and an application of a systemic fungicide would be in order. If you can flick the spots off with your thumbnail, then you probably have scale. Bougainvillea is particularly prone to spidermites, mealybugs and scale, all of which can be treated with a good, light horticultural spray oil.

Best of luck, I hope your plants recover soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard