This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93992 November 12th, 2005 at 05:06 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
These were growing in a neighbor's front garden & I stopped & asked her what they are. She didn't know, but handed me a trowel & said "help yourself" ...so, I did!) She said they bloom all winter & spread like crazy. (Might be good for my "deer barrier" project if they're deer proof, & it would also be nice to have something besides dead stuff to look at during the winter months!)
plants/Img_0008.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
Pretty little things, aren't they? thumbup Anybody know what they are?

Calendula is the only flower that I know of that's still blooming around here... I've got some of those, but they don't look anything like these, other than the color.

This is a Calendula:
plants/Calendula.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
They're also invasive as all get out & only come in orange & yellow, I think. The Calendula leaves are sort of fuzzy/dull looking, whereas the plant in the 1st photo has shiny, almost mottled leaves.

I'm not that wild about yellow flowers, but they're color when everything else is getting so dried up & dead looking these days! flw

#93993 November 12th, 2005 at 09:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Those are pretty..
I even get them *well, the seeds* to over winter up here, sprinkle a few here and there...
and they're a carefree no work, other than some dead heading early to keep them bloomin' and not lookin' to scraggly here..

I like when they mutate colors.. we've had some pretty sherbety colored oranges and butter cream colors..from light yellow's to very dark yellows..

and if they get too many, they're really not too hard to pull out either, the root system isn't all that, like tap roots are..

#93994 November 12th, 2005 at 11:17 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#93995 November 13th, 2005 at 12:03 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I have Calendula in all sorts of mutations here. They really are great in the winter!

Link Copied to Clipboard