This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93409 November 20th, 2004 at 10:57 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Eek. I've been looking around on the web, but since I don't have a clue what it is, it's kinda hard to find a picture of it and know what species it is, you know? So...

There's a plant we've had for quite some time- my mother's cleaning lady from when she was a kid gave it to us, but we've never had a clue what it is. I think it might be a fern of some sort, but I'm not sure.

It is a large plant. It has a main trunk which is kind-of like that of a foxtail palm-tree, or even a coconut, I can't think how to express it any better- and then it has these long stems. I think usually three to five at a time. At the end of the stems are large, broad leaves that are kinda like maple leaves, except they're dark green, about the size of my head , and aren't pointy but rounded. (They also have a lot more little prongs, or whatever you call them.)

The trunk on ours is pretty darned short, but we're not very good at taking care of it. The other day, though, I think I saw another plant of the same species in a hotel, and it had a very, very long trunk- and was in an enourmous pot. If it's the same kind of plant, I'm guessing ours could grow to be a lot bigger and healthier if we knew more about it!

Thanks for your time. smile

#93410 November 21st, 2004 at 01:40 AM
Well, it certainly sounds interesting! Any chance you could post a picture of it?

#93411 November 21st, 2004 at 10:15 PM
M
M
Check in the philodendron family. Some of them have big leaves.

#93412 November 24th, 2004 at 11:09 PM
R
R
Could it be some variety of a banana tree?

Where was your mother's cleaning lady from?

- Relative Newbie (whose parents have a small banana tree) (everything fits except the 'lots of little pointy things).

Link Copied to Clipboard