This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92982 December 26th, 2002 at 01:24 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hello, I was wondering if you can help me identify a plant I got for Christmas, i have already identified the Parlor Palm and a Boston Fern but this ones giving me trouble. I am happy to email anyone who can help a photo, it's got a tree like stem, the leaves are long, pointed, deep green with a red edging on them. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dawnsong

#92983 December 26th, 2002 at 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Dawnsong,

You may have a Dracaena marginata. If not, you can email a photo to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

#92984 December 27th, 2002 at 10:39 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi,
When I read your reply I did a search to look at photos, and they do look very like mine only mines got very dark leaves with red edging and I couldn't find one with the same colours. This is probably just a variant I guess but I sent you a photo just to make sure. Thanks for the help, i'm usually pretty good with green things on my windowsills, but never had a tropical plant before nevermind 3 at once LOL
Yours
Dawnsong

#92985 December 27th, 2002 at 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have received the photo and it is definitely a Dracaena marginata. The photo is cropped, but it appears to be in quite a large pot for its size. Make sure that there is a drainage hole in the bottom. Be very careful not to overwater this plant.

I suggest that you remove all or at least half of the decorative stones so that you can push your finger down into the soil to determine when the top quarter of the rootball has dried. That is when you should water. Removing the stones will also help the soil dry sooner and allow more air into the rootzone. A north or east windowsill is the best location for your D.Marginata.

Let me know if you have any questions about its care.

#92986 December 28th, 2002 at 09:31 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, thanks for the advice, as I said they were a gift, they are in a selfwatering plantpot, is this totally unsuitable? The gravel is in the pots to stop my cat digging in the pots.

Also do you have any advice on Boston Ferns care? Water, light etc. It arrived poorly.

Are either of these plants dangerous to animals?
Keryn/Dawnsong

#92987 December 29th, 2002 at 04:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are so many differebnt types of self-watering systems that it is hard to know if yours is a good one. Many of these pots keep the soil constantly moist and that is not good for your marginata. If the self-watering pot doesn't allow the top quarter of the rootball to dry out every 7 to 14 days, then the roots will rot.

Perhaps a wire sceen over the soil will keep your cat away and also allw the soil to breathe.

Boston ferns need to be in a window that gets lots of indirect sunlight all day long with little or no direct sunlight. A north-facing window would be best if it is not shaded by a tree or building. This is most important.

The plant should be in a pot that drains excess water away from the roots and out of the pot. Boston ferns have extensive root systems when healthy and will thrive when potbound. They tend to use a lot of water and do not like to get dried out. If they are in the right sized pot with good drainage they can be drenched without fear of overwatering.

When healthy, they can be fetilized with a high nitrogen fertilizer that is diluted by doubling the amount of water recommended on the label.

Low humidity is not a problem as long as the roots stay moist.

If you move it outside avoid temperatures below 55 degrees, keep it heavily shaded from sunlight and protect it from strong winds.

It is quite normal for underneath fronds to turn brown and dry as new growth is added on top. You can cut the dead fronds off. However, Boston ferns are fragile and don't like their fronds to be handled much. So be gentle with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard