This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9295 November 25th, 2003 at 04:32 AM
Wally Offline OP
OP Offline
Duh I have a Pink Splash Hypoestes that has a weird growth around the base just above the soil. From the information I obtained from different sources I was sure I had a mealy bug problem.The pictures I've recently seen of mealy bugs look like little cotton balls around the stems. What my plant has is more like white hair growing around the stem. I tried alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol but I think I may have gotten the instructions mixed up...I kept falling down drunk and the hair is still there! ( and growing ) Any ideas? Thanks for your help, Wally.
I originaly posted this in the Gardeners Chat but Weezie thought it would be better here since it's an indoor plant. The alcohol is a 70% solution.

#9296 November 25th, 2003 at 04:48 AM
Hi Wally!
From my experience with my Hypoestes, what I think you may have is new growth. My hypo recently put out new growth right at the base at the soil line, and that's exactly how it started, as a mass of white "hairs". I just left it alone, and before long, little tiny leaves started to form, and the white hairs disappeared. (fell off maybe?) My plant now has a nice new rosette of leaves. This is just a guess, but it sure sounds the same? Duh

Nikkal

#9297 November 25th, 2003 at 03:29 PM
Wally Offline OP
OP Offline
grinnnn Well Nikkal, I think you may have hit the nail on the head here! A bunch of new leaves started to grow at the base about two weeks ago and I just cut the rest of the plant back to see if they would flourish. I'll let you know if the hair falls off.
Thanks Nikkal.
Wally.

Link Copied to Clipboard