This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92924 July 8th, 2006 at 02:39 PM
M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've got lots of these in my garden in different colours... I thought someone told me they were gladiolus, but I don't think that's right. This picture doesn't really do the size of these guys much justice -- right now they are a few inches taller than me (at 5'6"), but they will grow tall enough that I can't reach the top of them.

[Linked Image]

(Something's eating them again this year so I've sprayed some pesticide to see if that helps. Not that they need much help as they still reach 7'+ with my neglect)

#92925 July 8th, 2006 at 03:27 PM
The flowers you have are Hollyhocks. They are very pretty flowers. Here is a link to a site with a picture to compare them too. http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/701/14731 .
Oh Welcome to the site from another newbie. smile

#92926 July 8th, 2006 at 03:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love Hollyhocks.....they are perennials and will come back for you......Yours are the same as mine! thumbup

[Linked Image]

#92927 July 8th, 2006 at 03:56 PM
M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That's definitely them. Thanks so much! This site (especially the mystery plant subforum) is definitely a blessing for me -- I'm not just a newbie here, but a newbie to gardening as well. I thought these were a bulb plant that I could dig up and move in the spring (I was convinced we had some creative landscaping squirels who'd moved some bulbs last year because we have a few growing in our lawn and other unexpected places too!). That would have been a big surprise to start digging and find out it's a taproot!

Thanks again -- I may just get my garden back to some semblence of order this year yet!

Link Copied to Clipboard