This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9223 June 14th, 2003 at 05:44 AM
T
Tommy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I planted 5 bareroot roses this year.It is my first time trying to grow roses and I noticed several roses have rust on the tip of the leaves.
Also along the tips of the stems they apear to be dying and moving down the plant.I cut them off and it did ok,but the rust is still a problem

how can I get rid of the rust?

#9224 June 14th, 2003 at 08:50 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I don't know much about roses either but moved into a home with quite a few. I had the same problem including black spot. First year I used a 3 in 1 Fungicide and have to repeat spraying several times. This year I tried Daconil. So far so good. It is all the wet weather we are having. Need to water ground and not leaves and open up the roses for good air ventilation. Don't allow water to stay on leaves overnight this really speeds the fungus. This is my suggestion as others may have different opinions. Catlover cool

#9225 June 15th, 2003 at 10:24 PM
U
U
Some guy told me to keep the under foilage trimmed back from around the ankles of the rose. This will allow good air circulation drying any dew or water on the plant.

Also to physically remove all traces of the infected leaves. This may take several days worth of selctive pruning those leaves.

I've done both pretty regulary and since I have my plants seems to be pretty healthy.

#9226 June 28th, 2003 at 04:30 PM
E
E
Tommy, do you also have black spot. I love roses and we live in almost the same climate. I have almost given up on roses because of the rust and black spot. My roses do so well in early spring and then again in the early fall because the humidity is lower. During the summer I just snip the infected leaves off until there is almost nothing but a cane with a puny bloom left.

Link Copied to Clipboard