This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91702 August 8th, 2006 at 08:06 PM
Patty S Offline OP
OP Offline
This came up from a package of mixed seeds, & I'd really like to know what it is.
[Linked Image]
(I know what the Zinnia is.... I couldn't keep from having it in the shot! It's the white flower I'm wondering about.)

[Linked Image]
Baby's Breath was listed (along with about 20 other flowers) on the seed package, but I've tried several times to grow Baby's Breath, without success... (I thought the soil wasn't right, & even though I've increased the acidity where I keep planting it, it still never comes up!) I'm wondering if I just got lucky once, & this is (finally) Baby's Breath. Duh

(If it is, I just might try planting it in this spot next year, & give up on the place I've been trying to make it grow!)

The reason I'm doubting that it's Baby's Breath is because the mixed seeds in the package were supposed to be annuals, & I was under the impression that Baby's Breath is a perennial, ...& I've read that it doesn't flower the first year! nutz

#91703 August 8th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
Good picture, Patty, and yes, that is the annual Baby's Breath, Gypsophila elegans. I stumbled onto that in a freeby package of seeds from American Meadows a couple of years ago and just love it. Deadheading will promote more bloom and I usually just whack it back rather than try to cut off individual dead flowers.

They also do well in containers. I planted some seed this year around the trunks of potted Tropical Hibiscus and it trails over the side very nicely.

I would like to try the perennial, Gypsophila paniculata, but I've heard it can take over your world if you aren't careful with it. laugh

#91704 August 8th, 2006 at 11:38 PM
I've tried several times to grow Baby's Breath, without success... (I thought the soil wasn't right, & even though I've increased the acidity where I keep planting it, it still never comes up
Actually, Patty, Baby Breath comes both as an annual and as a perennial and both prefer alkaline soil. Do you see a problem here? Duh but the plant is smaller too. It still hasn't gotten very tall and it grows more like a mat, similar to my Creeping Phlox, instead on a stem.

Link Copied to Clipboard