This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91293 September 20th, 2003 at 03:26 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
I don't have a photo of this bush, but I would love to find out if anyone might know what it is by the description. I saw it in Connecticut - late August. It was a large bush in front of someone's house about 5 ft tall and around. From a distance it sort of looked like a Rhododendron, but it had these incredibly large pink flowers. I would guess the flowers were at least 12 inches in diameter. There were 4-5 petals per flower. Any ideas about what this might be? Thanks!

#91294 September 21st, 2003 at 10:57 AM
A
A
Describe the flower more...was it a cluster of flowers or a single flower? With flowers that large, it sounds like a type of hibiscus, perhaps the perennial type also called a rose mallow...the blooms can be as large as dinner plates, and the plant can be quite tall and bushy.

#91295 September 21st, 2003 at 06:13 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
If I had to describe the flowers then hibiscus flowers come to mind - they were single flowers and definitely "as large as dinner plates" describes the size of the flower. The bush was large, but I did not get close enough to see the type of leaf.

#91296 September 21st, 2003 at 06:32 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Thank you alankhart for your suggestion. I searched for hibiscus and found the Moy Grande and I'm quite sure this is the plant I'm looking for. I can't wait to get one for my own yard!

#91297 September 30th, 2003 at 06:30 PM
R
R
Hi Yotpig!!!!! I have alot of seeds from my pink hibiscus shrubs (flowers are the size of dinner plates) if you're interested. They are fairly easy to grow. I just put some in little trays and the ones that are "tough" enough to sprout in the spring ( in doors) I gradually phase to the outdoors, once there's no chance of frost. Then when they are a some what sturdy, about 3-4 inches high I put them in the "baby bed" I have by the house to protect a lil from the winds. The first year they are only 1 stalk, with leaves. The second year they get 3-5 branches some flowers and the third year they are about 4ft high and just as big around alot of flowers. This year mine were over 5ft high and huge 5th year,( probably 15-18 branches) blooming every day in August!! SOOOO pretty! I have a picture of my front garden if you want to see the flowers to see if that's what you want. I could email if you send me a private message. Let me know, and welcome to the forum!

Link Copied to Clipboard