This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90355 May 26th, 2006 at 10:33 PM
Bernice Offline OP
OP Offline
I aquired these rose bushes with the purchase of our farm. I don't know a thing about roses or their needs, so it would be nice to know what it is so I can learn how to care for it. It has lots of pink flowers throughout most of the summer, if I remember correctly. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanx lots,

#90356 May 28th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Bernice, can you make the pictures larger so we can get a closer look? Thanks.

#90357 May 28th, 2006 at 06:09 PM
Bernice Offline OP
OP Offline
Patty, Try putting your curser over the pic and clicking. Mine enlarges the pic that way. You should see a hand when your curser is over the pic. If that doesn't do it, let me know. Thanx for your time to check this out!

#90358 May 28th, 2006 at 07:33 PM
WOA! thumbup I've never seen that before! (I don't get out much!) grinnnn

The bush was so tall last year that I couldn't get to all the flowers, to pick them OR to dead-head, for those horibly wicked thorns. (If my other 8 rose bushes were to have those kinds of thorns, I don't believe I'd do roses at all!)

#90359 May 28th, 2006 at 08:04 PM
Bernice Offline OP
OP Offline
Patty, Even though these rose bushes have had flowers in summer, I tend to agree with your recommendation of cutting them way back. So you do yours in Feb.? If nobody comes through for me and can help me figure out what kind of roses these are, then I'll just punt. February it will be then. They are dang ugly to look at now...all gangly. Yes, and those wicked, wicked thorns are aplenty.
Photobucket just automatically has that feature I guess. All my pics are compressed, as I have dial-up and it helps me get around with my pics better.
Well I'm probably safe to weed around the bottom, and add some sort of food to the ground there. I bought some bone meal and blood meal for just the purpose, unfortunately our very smart bird dog, sniffed it out, opened the container it was in and I dare say....ATE IT! shk
Well then, we'll both keep an eye out for any suggestions. I believe these roses are of some sort of old variety. Take care,

#90360 May 28th, 2006 at 08:55 PM
Bernice, I wish I'd taken pics of those roses last year, so I could show you what mine look like, but I didn't get interested in flowers until last Fall. (I've always done veggie gardens though.) The thorns are so nasty on that one, that the only reason I'm even messing with it is because of the blended red-to-peach color of the rose! (But that's not to say that even if we do have the same kind of rose bush, that they'd be the same color... will have to wait & see.)

As I understand it, the best time to prune roses is late Winter/real early spring, but you'll still want to whack off branches that cross each other & crowd up in the middle (any time), to maintain good air circulation for the prevention of mildew & other diseases that roses are prone to.

Good idea, to weed the area & feed the bushes now... probably wouldn't hurt to hit it with some systemic rose treatment stuff, while you're at it, as the minute you start to care about it, a bug or something will try to latch on! (That's been MY experience, anyway!) :rolleyes: Hopefully, you can do it without too much help from Rover, there! (I saw him down in the corner of 1 of your pics... looked like he had something in his mouth... maybe the lid to your plant food!) laugh laugh

Photobucket just automatically has that feature I guess. All my pics are compressed, as I have dial-up and it helps me get around with my pics better.
I've been using PB for the past 10 months, & have never seen them come out the way yours posted! I also have dialup, so my everything moves at a slower pace than it does for the "normal" people around here! thumbup

#90361 May 29th, 2006 at 05:14 AM
Bernice Offline OP
OP Offline
I just don't have the time (or energy) to do veggie's too. Besides, my sister always plants too much and loves to share hers...Lucky me.
Boy, the thought of diggin' in to the middle of those roses to trim them up is a bit scary! I'm going to need some hefty garmets for that job. Their so over grown...I'll let ya know how it goes. perpl Hope it's not getting too late. Unfortunately, the plants will probably be coming this week, just when I've got an unusually hectic schedule for work. My husband is going to faint when he see's the UPS trucks unloading all them plants. shk Hope they'll last til' I can get to them..

Link Copied to Clipboard