This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90311 September 11th, 2006 at 05:33 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[Linked Image]

I moved into this house last year and this year this popped up on my fence. It smells wonderful!

http://www.msnusers.com/1irutudtakt9oi6sp3vb617s35/Documents/Pictures%2Fchestnut%20008.jpg

[Linked Image]

These two are foster plants from Lowe's. They are very happy in these shot glasses of water, but if I put them in soil (tried regular potting soil, then tried cactus soil) they got unhappy-fast! Any thoughts?

#90312 September 11th, 2006 at 09:50 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
By any chance can you re~do your photo's...
*I see two red X's and the other one, when I clicked on it, want's me to
Welcome to MSN Communities! Please sign-in with your Passport account.
with a continuous pop~up...
***** Try www.photobucket.com *****
It's free, and we all can view it without any pop ups... thumbup

If you need any help, give us a holler, always glad to help!!! thumbup flw

#90313 September 11th, 2006 at 01:56 PM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Weezie, thanks so much! Is this better? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Do you see the photos, or just the links? I really appreciate the tip!

Amy

#90314 September 11th, 2006 at 04:34 PM
They are very happy in these shot glasses of water, but if I put them in soil (tried regular potting soil, then tried cactus soil) they got unhappy-fast!
I could go into a long drawn-out explanation of why that might be happening... BUT, I tend to make short stories long! grinnnn
...so I'll just give you this link & you can read the short version of what Weezie explained to me, about a month ago.

I know what's growing on your fence in the third photo, but for the life of me, I'm drawing a total blank! (DARN! [Linked Image] It's an easy one, too!)

(Your photos look great... but they're also great big)!
They should resize automatically on this page if you'd go to your photo bucket album & click the EDIT button above each photo...
When the "edit image" page comes up, scroll down to the "Resize Image" field...
Click on the little down arrow (where it says "100 X 75 Avatar")
& select "320 X 240 Website, Email" ...
Then *click on the RESIZE button.
*Be sure you make that selection before you click RESIZE!
(I just went & double checked these directions, & super-shrunk a photo that I have posted, because I DIDN'T!)
[Linked Image]

When you're done, refresh this page & your photos should fit better! [Linked Image]

#90315 September 11th, 2006 at 06:36 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The second one looks like a Spider plant...

Hold on a wee~bit for some other guesser's to come thru.... They may know what the other ones' are... thumbup thumbup flw

#90316 September 12th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the pics are awful small & hard to make out...

can't make out the first one at all.

the second one looks similiar to a spider...it's got a purple tinge to it - which means it's not a spider...there is something that looks like that that is purple...moses something-or-other. there's another, fairly recent post in mystery section, that looks to be the same as yours...about a month ago.

the last one looks like a gorgeous flower...too small for id (for me anyway). i'd say it's lilac - too late in the year for that tho. maybe the lily-of-the-valley bush? japanese pieris, i believe it's called.

#90317 September 12th, 2006 at 02:43 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Oh dear, first I had the pics too big, now they're too small! I'll have to play with that a little to figure it out. I don't think the purplish one is a spider plant. I thought the other was some sort of succulent?

The fence one is more of a vine/climber than a shrub or bush. I'm not so worried about it because it seems to be doing fine all on it's own, but I'd really like to save the other two.

#90318 September 12th, 2006 at 02:57 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ok, I think I've got it now:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#90319 September 12th, 2006 at 03:00 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, Joclyn, I know what you mean Moses-in-a-basket. I have that too (also in a glass of water-0h dear, I'm seeing a pattern), but it's much larger.

#90320 September 12th, 2006 at 03:24 AM
#3 may be Sweet Autumn Clematis...is it fragrant?

#90321 September 12th, 2006 at 03:56 AM
Naw, the 2nd one isn't a Spider plant... looks to me like Wandering Jew.

Here's both... [Linked Image]
Those Wandering Jew starts aren't different species, but are cuttings from the same plant that I split last spring... the greener leaves are from the one that's sitting in a very bright room, & the purple leaves are from the one in a low light room. (I thought it was interesting that the colors changed so much with the amount of light they got!) Duh

I was under the impression, Amy, that you knew what the foster plants are, but didn't know what's growing on your fence.

(Hey, I don't know that I like all the changes PhotoBucket has made recently... They made it more confusing, if you ask me! Guess I don't adapt to change very well!) grinnnn

#90322 September 12th, 2006 at 05:52 AM
The second one is definitely Moses in the Cradle. (Rhoeo). thumbup

Here's mine.

[Linked Image]

#90323 September 12th, 2006 at 07:01 AM
One of 'em's a wandering jew.

#90324 September 12th, 2006 at 07:02 AM
I'm ticked off with that original pop up - it won't go away.

Even though I did a control-alt-delete which booted me out of the forum all told, it's still popping up.

#90325 September 12th, 2006 at 07:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yeah, it's still comin' up on mine too!!!

#90326 September 12th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Christina,

That looks the most like mine. No one seems to know what the little succulent is? It has tiny little white buds on it.

What sort of soil do you have your Moses..in?

#90327 September 12th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i do believe that's sweet autumn clematis

would you be willing to collect some of the seed pods and send them to me? i can either do a SASE or send you something in return.

the moses in a cradle was recently reclassified and is now part of the same genus? that wandering jew is in Tradescantia...they are two different plants tho. what you've got there is the moses in a cradle.

can you resize (once again) that first pic? i can't quite make out the leaves. it looks familiar and i'd like a better view of it.

#90328 September 13th, 2006 at 02:15 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[Linked Image]

Joclyn,

Is that better?

As far as the one on the fence, I am just learning to collect seed so if I can figure it out, I would be happy to get some for you.

#90329 September 13th, 2006 at 06:38 AM
Hi Amy wavey

I can't tell you what soil I have my Moses in the Cradle planted in..it's still in the same pot it was in when I bought it. shocked

That last pic looks an awfully lot like a Jade plant. They flower white or pink flowers.

#90330 September 13th, 2006 at 07:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
amy, yes!! that's much better!! yes, christina, it does kind of look like a jade, doesn't it? it's not a jade tho. likely in the same family tho...and, as i said, it DOES look familiar to me - have to do some digging through my favs...

from that link, amy, it sure looks like it will be easy to collect the seed pods. kind of a shame tho as the pods are just as lovely as the flowers are!! if you can grab some, i'd really appreciate it...i love clematis to begin with and that's a particularly beautiful one AND it fits with my current goal of adding late-flowering items to the gardens! i'd assume that you wait until the pods dry out and turn brown before picking them off.

#90331 September 13th, 2006 at 07:54 AM
A
amy7467 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joclyn,

You are right, I think it is Sweet Autumn Clematis and after looking it up it seems that the seeds should be pretty easy to harvest. PM me with an address and I will send them when they are ready!

Christina,

I looked up Jade plants and I'm not so sure. Although I think we're getting close! Thanks everyone for all of the input! I really appreciate it!

Amy

#90332 September 13th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
amy, did you click on the link in my other post? it goes to a page about the sweet autumn clematis...

i'm looking at sedum varieties right now for the other one...like i said, it looks really familiar - and i've been researching sedum lately, so i'm going back to some of those pages i'd looked at earlier...

#90333 September 13th, 2006 at 09:37 AM
Hi Amy, that is a clematis growing on your fence. I have on that is now blooming and covers the end of my side porch. It is fragrant and quite a bee magnet. It pops up all over my yard as well as the neighbor's yard. I have never pruned mine so it has grown quite big. It will be an unsightly brown and will look dead all winter and spring, but it will green out and the green will overtake the ugly stuff and spread like crazy.

#90334 September 13th, 2006 at 09:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm stumped on the viney-thing.

#90335 September 13th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
Amy, here is a really good site about common house plants. I saw a few that resembled your plant. Maybe have a look and see if you can find it in there.
If you find it..let us know. thumbup

Common House Plants

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard