This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90287 January 24th, 2004 at 06:04 PM
C
Caseman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I need help identifying this plant, I think it is some sort of palm tree. Can anyone help me?

[Linked Image]

#90288 January 24th, 2004 at 06:26 PM
Welcome, Caseman! wavey

Hmmm, looks like maybe some kind of dracaena.
Someone's gonna know this...Hold tight.

#90289 January 24th, 2004 at 08:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like a BROKEN plant TO ME!! laugh laugh (see the bandage)LOL> Dracaena marginata, Tri-color, my guess anyway..Phil

#90290 January 24th, 2004 at 09:52 PM
C
Caseman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes you are right, it is broken. That is my next question. How can we save the bottom and top portion. This plant is very special to my wife and she does not want to loose it. Thank You.

#90291 January 25th, 2004 at 01:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok caseman, the guesses are right, dracaena marginata, tri-color. and yes, it is salvagable. you have 2 options, but as i have never had any luck with one of them, i would go with the second. the first is something called air layering. the second is this.

invest in some rooting hormone and using a CLEAN SHARP knife, finish severing the plant at the break. strip the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves from the bottom of the top piece of plant. dip it in rooting hormone and place it up to the first set of leaves still on in moist, good quality potting soil mixed with peat. cover the entire thing with a clear plastic bag to hold in the humidity and place in the same area where you have grown this very healthy plant. it wouldn't be that big or pretty if you didn't have it in the perfect spot light wise. now, for the bottom, cut the "trunk" into 2 inch logs and place length wise in a tray. click here for a previous discussion and pictures

Nikkal, one of our other members was very helpful to me in a similar situation! good luck.

#90292 January 25th, 2004 at 02:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CASEMAN, I am sorry, I should of told you how to repair and or save your plant, Jiffy is correct, and I do hope you grinnnn realize it was a comment made in good fun!!

#90293 January 25th, 2004 at 04:52 AM
C
Caseman Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Laura and Phil,

YOU HAVE SOME NERVE!!!!!!

Just kidding, no harm no foul. I would have done the same thing. If it's not yours it seems kinda of funny to see a plant with a bandage. Actually it is masking tape, Doh! first thing I could find. Thank you all for your replies. I will get to work tomorrow.

#90294 January 25th, 2004 at 01:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Caseman, I have had so many patches myself that it was easily identifiable!!! Duct tape(the handy man's secret weapon) works well too! grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard