This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89774 October 5th, 2006 at 11:33 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello, everybody!
Here are two plants that need to be identified.
1. I got this plant from my aunt last fall; it was pretty much dead then. To my shame, I did not take proper care of it until summer came. Then, as I was looking at its limp pale leaves, my stone heart finally showed some signs of humanity and I replanted it in well draining fresh soil and took the poor thing out on the balcony. And lo and behold! within few weeks it underwent a wonderful transformation. Its leaves became shiny and springy, and it began sprouting all this new glossy growth.
Now I feel absolutely awful for not treating it properly all those months.
This plant appears to have a very grateful and , hopefully, forgiving nature.

So, would you help me please to make up for all that neglect?

What is it? what does it need to be happy? (I took it inside couple of weeks ago, because it started getting a bit chilly at nights). It is not as glowing now as it was on the balcony and stopped sprouting new growth, but still appears to be healthy and generally pleased with life.

plants/P1010082.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

2. The picture only shows a part from a larger plant. I replanted it a few days ago, and a few pieces just separated. I found this plant a couple of years ago in my landlord's yard. It was lying on its side in the bushes, in a very old pot. I took it inside, replanted in a regular commercial potting soil, and watered it once in while. It was doing fine, nothing spectacular. Then , I moved and gave it to my parents. They put it near a radiator, and it was not good for it at all. It started wilting and yellowing. Then, when the heat was off during summer, it came back to life, I finally took it back a week ago. The larger plant has rather big (about twice as large as the one on the pic), thick glossy leaves. I gather it's a succulent. But what type? What are its needs?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n309/treelove76/plants/P1010085.jpg

Thank you all for your help and advice!

And, no, I am not neglectful of all of my plants. I actually spend the first hour of every morning with them, checking them, and sharing plans for the day with them. It's just that I am pretty new to this whole thing, and have to learn everything. And, boy am I glad to have found this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your help!

have a good day,
t.

#89775 October 6th, 2006 at 12:03 AM
The second one looks kinda like swedish ivy. Try a google image search and see if you agree.

First one, no clue but it looks like a neat one! Can't wait to see it after it grows up!

#89776 October 6th, 2006 at 12:57 AM
T
OP Offline
T
hello, Myndful!
thank you for the reply.
I can see where the resemblance is with the Swedish ivy, the shape of the leaves is similar. But it really is not that; this plant looks like a succulent to me.
here's another close up.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n309/treelove76/plants/P1010083.jpg

I'll try to post pic of the bigger plant later.

thank you,
t.

#89777 October 6th, 2006 at 12:57 AM
P
P
Cant seem to remember the name of the first one but the second one is Kalanchoe.

#89778 October 6th, 2006 at 02:59 AM
One of the most widely traded and "gifted" Epyphyllums is the
"Queen of the Night" (Epiphyllum oxypetalum),
your first plant could be another variety,
but it certainly looks like E. oxypetalum, to me. wink

#89779 October 6th, 2006 at 05:35 AM
T
OP Offline
T
my goodness, zuzu's petals!
I believe you're right. I looked it up on the Internet, and it certainly looks like Epiphyllum oxypetalum. But now I'm all anxious. How do I care for this astounding plant. Any hope it will bloom at some point? Are they very demanding? what type of soil do they like? (right now it's in succulent/cactus mix)... I think I'll post it on the succulent/cacti chapter of the forum.

thank you so much for the response!

#89780 October 6th, 2006 at 08:30 AM
thumbup
but you'll have to stay up late to enjoy it's full glory. wink

#89781 October 6th, 2006 at 09:02 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Preciousgreefingers!

thank you for the answer! I think you're right. Now, all I need is to figure out what type of Kalanchoe this is.

thank you,
t.

Link Copied to Clipboard