This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89204 May 15th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
OP Offline
Is there anything you can feed a dog to keep the brown spots out of the lawn? We have inherited two labs and it is starting to look like swiss cheese.

frown

#89205 May 15th, 2006 at 08:04 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
I wish I had some good news for you, but no there is not. There are some gimmicks out there in the market that claim that they help but they do not.
Beware of the old wives tale that putting limestone down will help. That does nothing as well. About the only thing that you can do is seed the area with a special type of seed that is being marketed for this purpose, but it is a much rougher bladed grass, that sticks out like a sore thumb. The best thing is to try to get the dogs to stay in one particular area of the lawn, and write off that one area.
Flushing the lawn daily may help a bit but that can take lots of water.

#89206 May 30th, 2006 at 07:47 AM
I don't have any suggestions for doggie diets, but the pet centres in my area have begun carrying an item called a Pee Post ... it's scented with canine horemones of some sort to trick the dog into thinking that maybe another dog has been in his yard. Beacuse dogs are territorial, they'll want to re-scent the spot ... it's supposed to help train them to use only a particular area.
A friend of mine has used it with some success ... maybe give it a try.

#89207 June 7th, 2006 at 01:04 PM
OP Offline
I read on a doggie site that a tablespoon of tomato juice a day would help. It seems to be working Duh We don't have any new spots!

#89208 June 20th, 2006 at 03:44 AM
S
S
adding some water to meals helps a bit to dilute the pee or another solution is that you have something that has an odd smell to the dog in your garden that the dog likes to pee on. or just take your dog out for a small walk instead to get it too pee elsewhere

#89209 August 30th, 2006 at 01:59 PM
THE SCARECROW SPRINKLER WORKS EXCELLENT!

I don't know how big of a yard you have, but I live on a farm. Last winter we bought a new puppy, our 'puppy' is a 150+ pound English Mastiff. He is a VERY large puppy and will be a VERY LARGE dog - meaning he has VERY LARGE pee spots and poop droppings! My sweet would get up about 6:00 every morning and dump right in the front lawn - EVERY MORNING. Usually two piles. My lawn looked terrible. I finally bought this sprinkler - I turn it on at night before I go to bed. When he - or any other animal walks within like 30 feet of it or around it, it senses the heat of the 'intruder' and sprays like a sprinkler whereever you point it to. We have not had to clean up one time in the past 3 weeks since we have put this out. Even when it's off - if he walks in the front yard it is only because he is playing with us - otherwise he stays away from it and the front yard! My grass is finally green and getting the patches cleaned up and looking great. Of course - we had to figure out where he was leaving his mess, but we found it and it was behind the quonset in the tall grass away from everybody!

Baby Cooper
[Linked Image]

#89210 September 2nd, 2006 at 02:31 AM
Wow great, I also have posted about the Scarecrow sprinkler! I've used it to keep cats off my lawn and I agree IT works GREAT!! kind of spendy about 70-80 dollars but worth it! I was lucky to find a used one on ebay for about $40... GOOD LUCK!

#89211 September 2nd, 2006 at 05:16 AM
We have a Saint and he pees so much too,....we give our lawn a good watering every day or two days maximum and i sprinkle his spots with a grass patch repair and it has grown back, but he is onto another spot so i just repeat the steps and just keep on top of it.
Good luck

#89212 September 26th, 2006 at 12:34 AM
P
P
We have two big Pound Puppies ~ actually dogs now and they pee alot. And we started getting those brown patches too. It seems that early morning pee is the strongest (most damaging) so we either walk the dogs for their morning "constitutional" or only let them in the dog run until they have taken care of their morning "constitutional". That seems to have taken care of the really bad problems. Plus walking gives me the opportunity to see my neighbors' gardens!

#89213 January 11th, 2007 at 10:38 PM
S
S
Keep the dogs closed at night in a small yard and only allow them on the yard after 10 AM. Also keep watering the lawn at a regular basis

Link Copied to Clipboard