This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89169 September 1st, 2004 at 06:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Ok starting next week, I'm going to start ripping stuff out of the flower beds, and begin to prepare them for next year. That being said, and remember I have NO idea on what is what, what is a weed and what isn't, I need massive amounts of help.

I created a whole folder on webshots with pics that I need help with. A few of them are just pics of the plant and then close ups of them. There are several things that I know of them, but just don't know what they are called. I want to get rid of a lot of them, but have so many of them I will be willing to share them if anyone wants them. And there are a couple of pics of ferns, that I don't what kind they are but when we moved here they were really big and healthy now they look a little sad frown I don't really like ferns, but I don't see much else growning there since it is shaded almost 100% of the time, they are in the corner of the house that faces West and North, so if you have any good ideas, let me know.

What are they???

If that doesn't work, try...

#89170 September 1st, 2004 at 08:10 PM
P
P
Hi, Shirley
I'm brand new so I hope you don't mind me "practising" my first time with you as I've never really participated in an online kind of thing. I looked at your pix and #4 looks like aquilegia (columbine) but #20 is definitely aegopodium podagraria, commonly known as Bishop's weed or Goutweed - I've even heard Angel's weed- people seem to either love em or hate em - although very invasive, they're great to lighten up dark shady areas, but I've used them in in all light conditions. (Hope I'm doing this right - let me know if not)
Wendy

#89171 September 1st, 2004 at 09:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Triss
Great Gardener
Member # 3367

posted September 01, 2004 01:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shirley,

The only one I recognized are the beans. They are a variety of Garden Bean, but I was not able to find out which one. The ones I have are white flowered rather than purple but the flowers still remind me of mini-snap dragons.

You could pull one of the pods and open it to see if you can identify the beans inside. Depending on the type and what you would want to do with them, they can either be harvested for fresh beans and either cooked right then or prepared for the freezer. The bean can also be allowed to completely ripen and dry on the vine for dried beans to use in soups.

Triss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mom to Patrick-11, Zackery-9, Alyssa-4, Jonathan-2, Michael-1 and soon to come Olivia-due November 5th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 35 | From: Hastings, Nebraska | Registered: Aug 2004 | IP: Logged |

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I moved this post onto this post, because the question was posted 3 times and 2 different people answered... so I combined them!! crit
Weezie

#89172 September 1st, 2004 at 10:04 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The first one, looks like Pigweed!

3rd almost looks like creeping virginia *weed* but some have grown it to climb and it's color is spectacular in the fall.... Kept in check it can be a pretty accent in the garden, but the optive words are "Kept in Check" Up to you to keep or not?

4th is Columbine, YOU LUCKY~LUCKY PERSON!!!!!!
They are one of my most favorite flower's/plants, and to have them all over the place, I am so jealous.
**Please let us know what colors you end up with?
And a FYI if they are kept clost to each other, you will end up with alot of different hybrid's/colors!!!

7~11 Look like Sweet Peas!!
Pretty plant, great climber, can be a bit weedie but nice picked flowers!!!

12th Looks like a wild rose????????????

13th and 14th Looks like Goutweed or Bishop's weed, I agree with Parrothead,
people seem to either love em or hate em - although very invasive
I personally for such a small space that I have, HATE THEM!!! For someone who needs a bank held back or up, they are wonderful, someone who has a HUGE area to fill, works great, some one who would like color and no maintainence, they all work for them, but for smaller area's and those who want to grow plants, annuals, they are a very invasive plant and very very very hard to get out... I am still finding mine popping up in places.

15th and 16th is a creeping rannuculus!! I that is also the same thing as above... they are creeping buttercups....
And thrives in moist conditions....

17th we have a picture of that somewhere's here, can't think of the name immediately, will come back or you remind me!!!

18th same as the Bishops' weed or Goutweed. Just two toned~bicolored.

23rd Looks like Ajuga????

Need a closer look at the flowering vine on the bails of hay....
Probably put the hay there for keeping heat in, and or making nice dirt under neath..
Don't throw the hay out, use it in a compost pile thumbup

I am loosing count on the pictures??

Next one after bails of hay, big bush/shrub..
Have you seen it flower?????????
Could be a forsynthia bush??????? Not sure?????

Nest two I know, but can't remember, remind me??

Need a closer look at the blue flowers??
Wild Transcendia's??????????????
When did they bloom the blue flowers???????

the one after the blue flowers is a weed, can't remember it's name right now either, but know it's a weed.

Last one, don't know, if you find out let me know,
My mom inherited one too??????????

Weezie

#89173 September 1st, 2004 at 11:24 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for combining the multiple post. I was a retard this morning and was so excited about getting answers that I pressed add, before I was ready, and then press stop, and didn't releaze that it had already post shocked

We have a lot of the Columbine around here, I'm try to find the pics of when we looked at the house and most of the flowers were in blome to see what colors they are or were.

Is it too late to try and tie up the wild rose vine to the trailise?

Great, I am "SOOOO" looking forward to getting rid of these Goutweed things. I really don't like them at all.

The flowering vine on the hay is a grape vine. We have HUGE grape vines in the yard, and they have the same leaves and flowers the others. The bale of hay is going to cause a problem though, there is a bee hive in it frown I have now thrown all of the hay bales into the compost pile, but not sure how to approach this one.

I have looked at the pics from when we looked at the house, which was in May, and the bush didn't have any flowers on it then, and I haven't seen any since then.

And when looking through the pics of the house when we looked at it in May, the last pic is a rose bush of some sort. I'll put up pics of the house and flowers from when we looked at it in May. You can tell how badly everything was then frown

Shirley

#89174 September 1st, 2004 at 11:38 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Ok, I have pics of what everything looked like before we moved in. WOW, what a difference. I never realized how much I have actually done. WOW!!!

#89175 September 1st, 2004 at 11:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The one with the vibrant blue flowers is an "Asiatic Dayflower" . Alot of people treat them like weeds,but they are considered a wildflower. The blooms only last for one day.

I hope you entered Phils contest Weezie,you would definately WIN! You knew soooo many of them!

Karen grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard