This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88901 September 8th, 2005 at 07:43 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Here he is. I used to keep him in direct sun all day but found out that if I keep him in shade and only a couple of hours of sun a day, then he gets nice green (and reddish) leaves!! He's so cool!! Anywho, what the dickens is he?
[Linked Image] cactus.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#88902 September 8th, 2005 at 08:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Gamblefish,
Goooooooooood to see you postin'!!!

I haven't a clue what your cactus is....
but waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy coooooollllllllll!!!

Get on the trading section here..
Betchya lot's of them here would trade cuttings
with you...
That plant is so neat!!!

There's a bunch of us that like to try
to figure these out..
so give them all a wee~bit of time to come thru..

#88903 September 8th, 2005 at 10:09 PM
wavey hi gamblefish ~

i believe that your plant is euphorbia trigona ("african milk tree").
yours looks great! thumbup cool how you're bringing out the color. wink
they can get to be at least 6 ft tall (yours looks nearly that tall already ?)
and, if ya need another one, or wanna share, they start very nicely from cuttings.

#88904 September 8th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Good Call Zuzu!!! thumbup thumbup flw clp

Yep, Rugby just PM'd me with
a google search of the type of plant..
EUPHORBIA TRIGONA

I can't get over how cool lookin' that plant is.
*I really thought it was a cactus* :rolleyes:

#88905 September 8th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Dear Mr. gamblefish...
I usually give people here a hard grinnnn

I love that plant! grinnnn

If you ever decide that you want to share a little piece of it (the plant) let me know.
I have a bunch of stuff to trade...and will even throw in a few African Grey parrot feathers.

Nice to meet you.

Cindy Faye

#88906 September 9th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
P
P
Hi Weezie,

I typed my reply and when I hit add reply, it disappeared.

Anyway, I hope you get this one.

The plant is African Milk tree [EUPHORBIA trigona]

#88907 September 9th, 2005 at 01:47 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Papito...just an FYI! When you use the quick reply if you happen to go down to the "POST REPLY" and click on it ....your whole post will poof....the one without the graemlins is the quick reply....make sure to click the one closest to the box. I have done that soooo many times....so frustrating.

I have the Euphorbia trigona. If I had to take only one plant when I moved...that would be it.
Love it, love it, love it!!!!

Cindy...it has thorns! You really want a piece of it???? laugh

#88908 September 9th, 2005 at 02:03 AM
O
O
Weezie PM'd me about this yesterday morning, but I didn't notice until just now. Duh.

Another name for it is Cathedral cactus.

#88909 September 9th, 2005 at 04:07 AM
P
P
Catlover,

Thanks for the info.

Now, testing input.

#88910 September 9th, 2005 at 04:36 AM
I actually have this plant too, but didn't know what it was. Got a foot long cutting about 2 years ago, and it just kept shooting straight up - very tall and skinny. All of a sudden this past winter, it started to put out side shoots about 1/2 way up.

Can I cut the top part off and root that, so the plant isn't so ridiculous looking?

How does one get it to become full, like the beautiful one pictured here?

#88911 September 9th, 2005 at 04:47 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Wow! Thanks all for the replies.

Weezie, I thought it was a cactus too. I mean, it does have stickers... Duh

Thank you zuzu, you rock! He's actually about 4 feet from dirt to tip. I've had him for a looooooooong time, about 5 or 6 years I think. Can't remember where I got him. There are actually 2 plants. I split them up last year, but they didn't do so well so this spring I put them back into the same pot. I think they missed each other cause now they are growing like crazy!

Cindy, I appreciate your gentleness...ya know, I'm about this far from the edge most of the time... p And I would love to trade stuff!! African grey parrot feathers!! Can I stick 'em in dirt and grow PARROTS!! I would like that...

Anyway, if ya wanna trade, just tell me what to do.

And thanks to the rest of you...this is getting to be like a long-winded, boring acceptance speech at one of those award show things...I appreciate all your answers.

#88912 September 9th, 2005 at 05:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
And thanks to the rest of you...this is getting to be like a long-winded, boring acceptance speech at one of those award show things...I appreciate all your answers.
We cool love thumbup !!!

#88913 September 9th, 2005 at 07:14 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Cindy, I appreciate your gentleness...ya know, I'm about this far from the edge most of the time...
sca

lala

#88914 September 9th, 2005 at 10:15 PM
P
P
Zuzu's Petal wrote:

and, if ya need another one, or wanna share, they start very nicely from cuttings.
From Success With Houseplant:

To make more plants, break off a piece of stem and let it dry for 5-10 days before planting in a porous, slightly damp sandy soil. If the soil is too wet the plant may rot instead of rooting. Choose a piece of stem to root that is no longer than 3-4 inches. Both the mother plant and the cutting will weep a milky sap at the point of separation. The cutting can be left to dry. Care for the mother plant by wiping the cut face with a cloth dipped in a warm water. Some people are allergic to this sap, so use care.
Lynn,

It Grows large with time. It gets both high and wide and only the ceiling will stop it's growth indoors.

#88915 September 10th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
Thanks so much, Papito!
I really appreciate the info on how to take cuttings, as the one piece is getting soooooooo high and thin that I can't imagine it will stand upright for much longer.

#88916 September 21st, 2005 at 07:50 PM
i have one as well. It is a euphorbia trigona"good luck" cactus!

#88917 October 17th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi, We have Euphorbia Trigona in our office, which is doing well, but is getting a bit too big for its pot. When would be the best time of year to re-pot it? Thanks, The Old Giffers x

#88918 November 4th, 2005 at 10:01 AM
hey i have one as well.
the variety of
euphorbia trigona"ruby"
has red leaves on it. i got mine as a 2" cutting.
shes about 2 feet now. probably would have done better if i had not transplanted her so much!
shes also called a "good luck cactus"
rhonda

#88919 November 16th, 2005 at 04:41 AM
ok I KNOW this plant now.My mom had me one started from hers once(hers is big.it was 8 ft and they started haveing problems getting it inside slideing doors for the winter...think bubby moved moved out with dolly too lala ) I didn't KNOW what it was so didn't dig it& it got frost bite& the DR was a quack& it turned black& composted in spot.
And NOW....that I SEE THESE shots.....it looks like my mystery plant,but it don't have those lil side leaf thinggys .

If I recall///step dad said he rooted it in water.I do believe he showed me a jar of water b4 potted it up for me(that was 3 years ago,I'll have to look old webshots ablum..........)

So whats their major temp.I do cold GH.I place my tenders at the back close 2 house and my hardier ones at screenside.I also group plants together...they do the "cold-green-house-huddle"

Sure glad I cruised through some posts.........See?its not ALWAYS bad crit

#88920 November 24th, 2005 at 09:37 AM
I just found out yesterday what this plant is called. I have been bringing it inside during cold weather, it may freeze?? I got this plant (cutting) about 5 yrs ago from a Chinese Restaurant. When I do bring it indoors the leaves seems to start turning yellow & dropping. I value my African Milk plant/"Cathedral cactus" very highly. Something I am very proud of.

Link Copied to Clipboard