This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88727 January 11th, 2006 at 12:48 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I am working with my SECOND alocasia polly right now. I have had it for nearly 3 months and all has been well. It has recently started dying, the same as my last. The stems begin to turn a little soft and the leaves start to spot yellow and then just fall. I have not changes the watering, location, or anything else. I need help. I love this plant, but I just can't keep them alive.....HELP!!!!!!!!!

#88728 January 11th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
R
R
try less water & more fertilizer

#88729 January 11th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
I do not know if you realize some of them do rest. It will lose all the leaves cut back the watering to about a few tablespoons of water a week. You do not want the soil dry or too moist just damp. In about 2-3 months it will start to grow again.

If you want to check to see if you have watered to much and if it is dead. Take it out of the pot you will see a hard as a rock bulb. If it is soft and rotten looking you know you watered it too much which rotted the bulb.

Is this the plant?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/marquest/Cal-Zeb-EE.jpg

#88730 March 12th, 2006 at 02:22 AM
M
M
I just got this plant and it started doing the yellow spotting and falling of the leaves... you're sure I don't have to worry about it?

Once all the leaves have fallen, do I still water it about 2 TBLSP of water a week, or should I lesson it?

#88731 March 12th, 2006 at 07:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The same exact thing happened to my African Mask. All of the symptoms point to overwatering, although I remember when it happened to me, I was very careful to let it dry out thoroughly. (With all due respect, Rugby, it is never a good idea to fertilize an ailing plant. Only plants that are growing vigourously should receive fertilizer, and at half strenth, IMHO.) I just thought I got a bunk plant, and although I love them, never tried another.
Where did you get the plant? If it is from an independent nursery, you might inquire directly with the personnel on how to best care for your new plant. All of them go through a acclimation period, so perhaps it is just adjusting???

#88732 March 12th, 2006 at 02:09 PM
Mich in your area it should be ok and it should not loose all its leaves. Mine does wonderful in the summer when the weather cools it starts to loose its leave. Is it in a cool area 50-60 or may be to dry in your area.

For moisture..Get tray and fill it up with pebbles and fill it with water that will get the humidity level up.

Warmth...70+

#88733 January 2nd, 2007 at 12:23 AM
S
S
My alocasia polly, and I have 2, keeps getting white flies, (or I think that's what they're called). I just washed the whole plants, stems and bulb too, with a mild mixture of Dawn Dishwashing liquid/water, using a cotton ball. We'll see. Though mine have also done this dying thing, I still have about 3 leaves on each. I've read that they're very suceptible to this white fly thing. It looks like little wads of fluff, then you'll see little spots, babies, i guess, on the leaves. I'm hoping mine make it because they were beautiful when I bought them from Home Depot.

#88734 January 5th, 2007 at 10:38 PM
stetsonlily,
Those little wads of white fluff might be mealy bugs, not whitefly ... do they look like this:

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:za1elqXu1e7gOM:http://www.uky.edu/Ag/IPM/sponsprj/county02/02marshall/mealybugs.JPG

If so, you may want to try dabbing the bugs with a q-tip dipped in an alcohol-water solution.

#88735 January 6th, 2007 at 05:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree, wads of white fluff indicate mealy bugs and the best way to treat them is a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. either straight or mixed with a bit of water.

#88736 January 14th, 2007 at 05:11 AM
S
S
Oh, I just figured out how to find my mail and reply! DUH!
Yes, I think those bugs/fluff look like Frann's pic, tho it's too small to be sure. In the meantime, I used a cotton ball soaked with Dawn & water solution and washed the leaves and stems. I haven't seen any since, but neither has it put on more leaves yet. It's just crippling along. I keep it moist, but on the dry side of moist and in a north window where they (I have 2) get indirect light in the winter. I sure miss the beautiful plants I bought last spring.

#88737 February 14th, 2007 at 03:45 PM
S
S
I have an alocasia polly for about 1 month. I noticed that there are "mealy bugs" inside the base. They haven't quite gotten up to the upper stems and leaves. Best remedy?

#88738 February 15th, 2007 at 01:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
welcome to the forum!!

you can treat the mealy bugs with a q-tip dipped into rubbing alcohol...then dab the bugs with the q-tip. gets rid of them quite nicely!

#88739 February 15th, 2007 at 11:55 PM
S
S
Thank you- I will it a go.....

Link Copied to Clipboard