This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8842 May 10th, 2003 at 04:25 PM
K
KATHIE Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone! I am new to this site & am here to present my problem to see if anyone can help me. Last year I planted 4 lavender plants & they all bloomed. This spring they look awful...all woodsey...like dead stick bushes. My question to you is this....will they come back or are they all goners? Since I am here I will pose another question if you don't mind. Does anyone know where to obtain & how to grow Wisteria? Thanks for your help. Kathie

#8843 May 10th, 2003 at 09:01 PM
R
R
Kathie,
Lavender is a woody shrub. Did you harvest the flowering stalks or trim off the spent flowering stalks last year? If not, that may be what you're looking at, as the old flower stalks stand up above the rest of the plant. Those don't regrow. The new growth will come from the buds on the woody stems farther down. If you're not harvesting the lavender, the stalks need to be cleaned up after flowering to maintain its appearance.
Rick

#8844 May 11th, 2003 at 05:18 AM
K
KATHIE Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Rick. I did harvest the Lavender from the plant last year but did not do anything else. This spring I cut back the dead looking woody branchs, but have not see any "new growth" so far. DO you think I will get any since I did not cut the plant back last year? I don't want to give up them unless it is a lost cause. frown

#8845 May 12th, 2003 at 02:55 AM
S
S
Shareen from NJ here, I have mumstead lavender, planted 4 yrs ago, and this is the first spring I had cut them back, I also was afraid it wouldnt grow, but behold its coming up, nice and full. I dont no what kind of lavender you have, but mine also grows on woody stems, Im sure it will come back, How i enjoy my lavender. beautiful all summer, wish you luck.

Shareen

#8846 May 12th, 2003 at 02:57 AM
S
S
Shareen from NJ here, I have mumstead lavender, planted 4 yrs ago, and this is the first spring I had cut them back, I also was afraid it wouldnt grow, but behold its coming up, nice and full. I dont no what kind of lavender you have, but mine also grows on woody stems, Im sure it will come back, How i enjoy my lavender. beautiful all summer, wish you luck.

Shareen

#8847 May 12th, 2003 at 04:17 AM
K
KATHIE Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks Shareen, I believe mine is English Lavender, but maybe there is hope for mine afterall. Like I said....it bloomed last year...the first year I planted it, but now looks so sad. Maybe I will just dig them up & replant then somewhere else since they are in the flower bed & really look bad for now. I know what you mean about enjoying the lavender though...I mad so many things from the dried lavender flowers. THx for your help. Kathie

Link Copied to Clipboard