This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8835 June 11th, 2003 at 08:32 AM
OP Offline
Wonder if anyone can help me with this one. I have a magnolia tree had it for 9 years and it is not growing. frown Can anyone tell me what I might need to do with it. Maybe I need to move out of Texas.....could that be the problem....LOL :rolleyes:

Tam smile

#8836 June 11th, 2003 at 10:00 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
From what I've heard of Texas soil on this forum, I'm amazed that anything grows there! (just kidding....) Actually, in this case I think the soil may be the culprit. Magnolias like rich, loose soil, and if they can't have it they just won't grow fast. Even with a well prepared planting hole, the roots will quickly find their way to the clay barrier, and the plant's grow will slow back down. You didn't say that your tree seemed unhealthy, just that it wasn't growing... It's the dirt.... move out of Texas!
laugh

#8837 June 11th, 2003 at 10:11 AM
OP Offline
Bill,

You were so right about Texas soil......lol
Maybe I should get the tree dug up and plant something else there. That poor tree is not growing and probable not healthy either. Bill, you know any other trees that I could plant in my poor magnolia spot. Maybe that is why Texas is so flat land...lol
Thanks again for the information.

Tam smile

#8838 June 15th, 2003 at 05:40 PM
F
F
Hi Peppermint, do other people in your area grow that particular Magnolia? How are they doing? The Magnolia u planted.... is it common to your area and are u close to the ocean?
When i think of Texas, i think of the heat and dry weather...
I planted a small magnolia 2 winters ago. It started out at 4ft tall. Last summer (drought and all)it grew to 6ft.So far this spring, it has already grown 2 ft;so, i'm eager to see how tall it finally grows before the summer is over!
I've got terrible clay soil too;so, it might slow down a bit. We'll see... wink

#8839 June 15th, 2003 at 07:31 PM
OP Offline
Bob,

Yes there are all sorts of magnolia trees in my area and they are so pretty. I look at mine and want to cry everytime I look at it. Maybe I just don't have the green thumb....LOL
Hey while I am on the subject about trees got another tree looks kinda sick it is a crate myrtle. Do you know anything about them.......That one has this brown stuff all over the bark looks like paint..... laugh Maybe I need to go to a tree class.....LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard