This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88342 February 20th, 2005 at 08:34 AM
M
OP Offline
M
HI ALL- I'M LOOKING TO PURCHASE A INDOORS 3' FT. CHINA DOLL plant...ANY POINTERS WELCOME!! THANKS KINDLY!! -MICHAEL

#88343 February 21st, 2005 at 05:35 AM
M
OP Offline
M
HELLO AGAIN-

SORRY, BUT I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION/TIPS IN REGARDS TO growing A CHINA DOLL INDOORS. I PLAN ON PURCHASING ONE TOMORROW. I LIVE IN SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN, THEREFORE I CAN'T plant IT OUTSIDE.

THANKS KINDLY!!
-MICHAEL

#88344 February 21st, 2005 at 07:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi MICHAEL5621,
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry, I don't know much about China Dolls, but here is a link that might help with your purchase tomorrow. Good luck!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/27/891.html

#88345 February 21st, 2005 at 04:26 PM
M
OP Offline
M
HI AMY-

MY FIRST REPLY!! THANKS FOR THE LINK!!

#88346 March 6th, 2005 at 01:16 AM
Hi Michael
I have a China Doll plant which was just gorgeous when I bought it, and now it has grown long and leggy, with lots of leaves falling off around the stem. Some say these are very hard to take care of and I am seeing why. I have pruned mine back quite a bit to see what will happen. I must say for such a beauty, it's sure deceiving once it starts to grow. Hope you have better luck with yours. Duh

#88347 March 8th, 2005 at 08:30 PM
S
S
China doll...yep, that's what is now sitting on my front porch and has been all winter. It was so pretty when I brought it home, and for whatever reason, there went the leaf drop Will Creed spoke of. It was watered, misted, NOT moved around, and got indirect sun. After 2 months of constantly cleaning up leaves, I tossed on the porch, and told it where it could go. The thing just will not die and go there. grinnnn Although, it kinda looks like it's been there already... laugh This will be another plant for the infamous voodoo dance/chicken-shaking thread! grinnnn

#88348 April 2nd, 2005 at 06:36 PM
R
riv Offline
R
china dolls are not indoor plants by any means. they cannot be grown inside. they need to be pruned heavily, i.e., down to a stump, either in fall or spring, every couple of years. they must be grown outdoors in a mediterannean climate. if you live where it snows, forget it. i live in the east bay area of the SF suburbs, near oakland. i live close to foothills on the east and the bay to the west and there is a great microclimate here (there was no frost a'tall last winter, but one or two days the winter previous) that allows me to grow more exotic plants. i have an old china doll...must be 12, 13 years old. it's about 6 feet tall now, and i'm getting ready to cut it back to a stump about 2 feet tall. it lives on a north-facing, covered porch. i have a piece of clear plexiglass with a bamboo shade over one of the side openings to protect it from the heavy wind we have here, and to provide it with filtered sunlight, which it gets in the afternoon only. it suffers from leaf drop, but if you prune it regularly, it comes back and takes a couple years to get leggy. again, these may be sold as indoor plants, but they are not. they are totally susceptible to mites, scale, you name it, it'll catch it if grown indoors. my outdoor plant was almost dead from neglect when i inherited it, and just covered with mealy bugs and spider mites; it has never gotten any pests since i left it outdoors. my suggestion to those of you who live in unacceptable climates, i.e. northwest/east, is to just not waste your money with these plants as they will *never* live up to your expectations.

i also know of a china doll which is planted on a north facing wall with no shelter whatsoever. i don't know the owners, but i see they also prune theirs back every year and it grows about 5 feet by the time it gets too cold for it to survive without pruning.

#88349 April 2nd, 2005 at 06:49 PM
S
S
Actually, the poor China doll is looking pretty good now. It has new growth all over the place, and I've started paying a little more attention to it...not a lot, mind you. laugh Seems if I lavish it, it doesn't like me anymore. laugh

#88350 March 25th, 2006 at 05:41 AM
China Doll frown
After almost throwing mine out last year, I decided to give it one more try inside. I gave it a good pruning job, and started to small amounts of water twice a week about, in other words I don't let it dry out at all, and my plant is nice enough that others will comment on it. I've been quite pleased with myself wink
But the big test will be if I can keep it going longer, who knows lets see what will happen smile

#88351 March 26th, 2006 at 04:31 AM
Hi have 2 China Doll plants. One was inherited about 15 years ago and the other was a birthday gift 4 years ago. These are my favorite indoor plants!! I keep them in bright indirect light and keep them moist. The older plant has had stages where it dropped a few lower branches but there are always new branches growing. I have never had any problems with pests.

#88352 April 19th, 2006 at 11:19 AM
R
R
my friend just gave me a cutting from her china doll. what is the best way to root it, should i put it in water or dirt, or is it even possible?

#88353 March 2nd, 2007 at 04:49 AM
I just started a new account here because I thought everyones help was great, and I wanted to ask a question myself... I have now had 2 China Dolls. My first one ended up dying after my mom and I moved. My mom bought me a new one, and is doing ok, a little bit droopy but I think it will be fine, however, I would like to know exactly how I am supposed to be taking care of it, and would like to know how to trim them. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

#88354 March 9th, 2007 at 12:57 AM
I have to disagree with ya riv, I have a China Doll, have had it for 6 months, indoors and it is thriving. The key to it is keep it moist and in a humind room with bright indirect light. Mine is in my bathroom and hjas grown at least a foot since I have had it. No leaf drop, yellowing or anything negative. I just love it!!

The ONLY problem I am having with it is that I cannot seem to get it to branch out. I pinch off a tip and rather than two growing from the spot, to promote bushing, it throws up a single stem. I am still working on it though. I just love the plant!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard