This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#88187 August 9th, 2004 at 06:14 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
I was out looking around today for things to clip & bring home. I saw this & had to try to grow it. Anyone know what it is? The second pic is of the "fruit" that's on the same vine.

plants/purpleplant.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/purpleflowerfruit.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#88188 August 9th, 2004 at 06:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like a passiflora, Sami. This link has some great info on them.
Passiflora

#88189 August 9th, 2004 at 05:33 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep! That's it! It's beautiful...I hope I can keep it alive. Thanks for the site, has lots of useful info!

#88190 August 9th, 2004 at 05:33 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep! That's it! It's beautiful...I hope I can keep it alive. Thanks for the site, has lots of useful info!

#88191 August 10th, 2004 at 07:48 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Down here in SC, they are a perennial. The neat thing about it is, they never come back in the same place!!!!!!!!!!! They attract caterpillars, but don't kill them, They turn into brown and yellow butterflys. The 'pillars don't harm the plant. I have them growing on a garden fence. The fun part is waiting to see where they "pop" up next. angell Enjoy

#88192 August 10th, 2004 at 09:09 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
How cool! I'm really excited about this plant! I've been doing lots of research & I'm getting ready to dip it in root hormone & put it in a clay pot...

I read that rooting gel is better but I don't have any but I, also, read that clay pots are good, so I'm gonna try that before I put it in my yard. Wish me luck!

#88193 August 11th, 2004 at 12:08 AM
Root it in a shaded spot& when can tell is rooted can place out and cover.mine commes back close to same spot each yr,but see new ones all the time.The fruit taste good and the seeds are inside place seeds in fridge with no fruit that gives off gases and then can sow seed.i let mine grow indoors last yr from seed then potted out this spring.They can climb trees then you'll have my problem....fruit is 20 ft up tree& will be playing"shoot the vine above fruit"with the BB gun.They actually root easier air layering if are able to.
so where ya clipping at?what else did ya get?

#88194 August 11th, 2004 at 12:48 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Mine has only one fruit right now. I had it in some water (trying to root) but I was afraid that wouldn't work, so today I dipped it in root hormone and put it in some potting soil/peat moss in a clay pot (I read that it helps with the positive ion charge or something), then set it under my deck where it will get some sun but not all day. I hope it's not too hot for it, although, I found it on the side of the road... What is air layering?

I didn't get a lot...some ivy (don't know what it is) and my mimosa branch grinnnn which already is looking very dry, so I put it under the deck on the East side so it will get morning sun but be in shade the rest of the day.

Then, today, my husband brought me a weeping willow tree grinnnn which I am so excited about. It's pretty tall already but not a really large...only cost $16!!! I'll plant it tomorrow. The lady he bought it from used to be a relative of mine, through my first marriage. She said it would be ok to plant as long as I keep it well watered.

#88195 August 11th, 2004 at 03:31 AM
oh you lucky lucky thing you!!! I knew what that was the second I saw it!! I watned to get one earlier this year and couldn't find it around here!!! You must keep me updated on it!!

Link Copied to Clipboard