This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8815 April 10th, 2003 at 12:50 PM
P
Pat Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I really need help fast! We have recently purchased a home that has so many plants, ground cover, ivy, etc., and I don't know what most of them are. The problem is, we have some flowers coming up, that I think are crocus, tulips, something else, and possibly peonies, and we are going to put in a pole barn, and I have to move these plants. Am I able to move them now?? I have a lilac bush with new sprouts coming out of the ground at the base of it, and they have buds on. Can I transplant the new sprouts now? Can I transplant any of these flowers now or the peony, either? There is also some kind of ivy growing all around the basement walls, chimney, ground house, and we have removed it from the house and chimney, as it was even growing inside the window! Is there an easier way to remove it from the ground, as it is tough and we are overwhelmed by it all. I really hate to lose all of these bulbs by moving them, but I have no choice. By the way, I am becoming a new gardener! smile I would appreciate any help that you may give me on this matter. Thanks in advance! smile confused

#8816 April 14th, 2003 at 12:02 AM
C
C
When my husband and I married, we moved into this house and began transforming the yard. There were many old bulbs and shrubs. I had to move them because of building, and landscaping. I'd say 98 percent of them lived, not all bloomed that year, but they are happy now. Hope you have the same success. Oh and the Ivy. I cut mine back to soil level without pulling the roots, kept it cut back for a few years and it didn't grow after that. I know of no easy way to get rid of it without pulling it off the buildings.

#8817 April 15th, 2003 at 09:23 AM
P
Pat Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks ConnieMarie for the reply. I was thinking no one was going to answer, being such a busy time of year. Anyway, the bulbs are up, and I am not sure what they are, I just hope and pray that they bloom and are gone by the time we get to their location! We have the 2 front poles for the barn, and they are on the left side and rear, maybe I can get my hubby to start on the right side, next! smile

Again, thanks for your reply!

JMJ,
Pat

#8818 April 16th, 2003 at 07:57 PM
L
L
Good luck with your flowers Pat! I've moved bulbs at this time of year and they didn't bloom that year but did well the next year.
And lucky you if you do have peonys. They are so beautiful. I've been trying to find one for my garden but I haven't had any luck so far.

Link Copied to Clipboard