This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
Hello. I have a 10 year old Jade that has shriveled, thin leaves with a reddish under belly. A few of the far reaching extremities got mushy and as a result, I needed to cut them off. I have checked the root ball and know that it isn 't root rot. He is getting enough light and hasn't been moved from the window sill since I bought him long ago. Would a vitamin deficiency or underwatering cause something like this? Is there something that I am missing?

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: KristinCarlson ]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Kristen,

Underwatering can cause leaves to shrivel and die. Jades prefer to be kept on the dry side, but not bone dry like a cactus. When you water, always be sure to water thoroughly so that the entire rootball is saturated.

Nutrient deficiency usually occurs when the soil pH is outside the preferred range, not because the plant needs fertilizer. However, the symptoms you describe can also result from mineral overload if your local tap water is on the hard side. If that is the case, flush lots of filtered, distilled or rainwater through the rootball to wash away the excess mineral salts.

K
OP Offline
K
Hi Will,

Thank you very much for your help. I gave my jade a healthy watering and the leaves seem to be plumping up a bit.

Thanks again! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard