This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87382 August 23rd, 2006 at 01:41 PM
OP Offline
I picked up an aloe yesterday at walmart (it was only a buck) and a bag of potting soil. I went ahead and planted it, but now I'm thinking that the potting soil might be too dense for the plant? We recently ripped out some sort of brick-walkway that had sand under it, could/should I mix that into the potting soil and repot the plant? Also, I have the aloe in an 8in regular terracotta pot, should I get one of those "azalea" terracotta pots to put it in, so that the roots have more horizontal room to grow?

#87383 August 24th, 2006 at 03:04 PM
how big is the aloe? Either way, a buck is a really good deal. I had my old aloe in potting soil, and it didn't do all to well for me. But that just may be me, maybe i didn't take care of it right, maybe it doesn't like potting soil, ormaybe it was just a "bad" plant from the start. All i know is that it didn't work too well for me...

maybe not the sand from under an old walkway, but maybe sand for planting things--there might be different things in it.

This isn't much, but i hope it helps, and good luck with the aloe!

#87384 August 24th, 2006 at 11:54 PM
M
M
A buck is a pretty good deal (maybe I should go check out my walmart)! I always plant my aloes in cacti/succulent mix that I get from walmart.
I use both regular terra cotta pots and azalea pots, and both seem to work.

Good luck!
Melinda

#87385 August 25th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
OP Offline
The plant isn't very big--it was in a VERY small container and was getting root-bound. The plant itself is about a foot high with probably 7 large, thick "leaves". The container was about the size of a small juice cup. I'll see if I can get some cacti mix from walmart next time I'm there, just to be on the safe side. I thought a buck was a good deal too, I also got some mums for 50 cents. They also had clemantis plants for 2 bucks or so, but I didn't know anything about them, so I didn't pick any up. Thanks for the help!

Sarah

#87386 August 25th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
M
M
Happy aloe = clay pot with quick-draining soil, as much sun as you can give it, and not much water tapering to very little water in winter.

#87387 August 26th, 2006 at 04:17 PM
I just use the same mixture that I use for african violets....half potting soil and half perlite, It seem to work fine. But the cacti/succulent mix is fine as long as you don't over water.

#87388 August 28th, 2006 at 02:46 PM
OP Offline
Is it normal for aloes to darken when left in lots of direct sunlight after being raised in a greenhouse without direct sunlight??

#87389 August 28th, 2006 at 09:09 PM
Sarah, did you check out the information about Aloe here at Garden Helper? Very good reference material. wink
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/aloe~vera.html

#87390 August 29th, 2006 at 02:12 AM
OP Offline
The Garden Helper is always informative!! I check out their info before posting questions. It is not often I find a site with such a friendly and knowledgable forum plus a good reference site too!

#87391 August 31st, 2006 at 08:58 PM
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
Is it normal for aloes to darken when left in lots of direct sunlight after being raised in a greenhouse without direct sunlight??
Yes. Aloes will suntan, but it is completely normal. Mine is almost brown now, but quite happy! thumbup Have you taken any pics? This is my $1.99 Wal-Mart Aloe!
plants/142_4258.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#87392 September 2nd, 2006 at 01:40 AM
OP Offline
Right now my batteries are dead--I am recharging them now. My walmart aloe looked nice and green like the big one in your pic, but after about 2 days in full sun it looked very dark brownish-red, similiar to your little aloe in the red pot. I'll take some pics once my batteries are ready.

Thanks,
Sarah

#87393 September 3rd, 2006 at 10:53 AM
My little one gets more direct sun than my big one...the tips on the big one are getting dark because I have slowly been moving it out into full sun. As long as your "leaves" aren't getting hollow or falling off...I think you are fine! thumbup

#87394 September 5th, 2006 at 10:48 PM
OP Offline
Well, the whole plant had started looked brownish-red and generally ill, so I put it on my front porch where it gets 4 hours of direct sunlight and misses the hot afternoon sun. It has returned to a healthy green and seems to be doing well. I think I'm going to do what you're doing, Tonya, and ease it into full sun. Thanks for the tips/advice!

#87395 September 8th, 2006 at 03:48 AM
No problem Sarah. margaret e. pell helped me learn what little I know. Aloes are good in direct sunlight and will "suntan" and get almost completely red. Just ease into full sun. Post pics! thumbup This is what my little aloe looked like before I found this place....

plants/125_2571.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#87396 September 11th, 2006 at 09:24 AM
OP Offline
I thought that the were supposed to be green! Wow, the things one learns! Thanks!! I'll go snap a pic of my aloe then post it on badplanter's thread. Mine wasn't quite as droopy as yours, but a few of the outer leaves had fallen off. However, I do think those leaves were injured before I purchased the plant.

#87397 November 12th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
D
D
hi new here! i just got 3 small aloes from Ikea for .49 cents.. didn't look too good. new i had to do something. i am on a budget so i bought cheap dirt from hardware store., 20 lbs for $2.98. leftover {witches cauldrons} from Halloween. .22cents each!so for less than one dollar each!! but they need TLC........ broken and bent spotty too. maybe with time? i hope.. but the more i read up on them, maybe i am not doing the right thing?

#87398 November 12th, 2006 at 08:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mix some sand in that cheap potting soil. if you don't, it will clump hard and not drain right. poke holes in the bottom of the caldron, and get a saucer to sit it in.

cut off any broken areas, then sit it where it can get good sun and not freeze and you will be fine! good deal on saving the pitiful aloes. i'm a plant "saver" too!

#87399 November 26th, 2006 at 09:39 AM
Are the Aloes suppose to have white spots on their leaves? My plant is very green and sturdy. Even the off shoots have white markings. This is good right?

#87400 November 27th, 2006 at 01:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
some have white spots, some have red edges, there are so many varieties...

#87401 November 27th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
daysea..Welcome to the forum wavey If you could post a picture it would help us to be able to help you better....But the biggest thing with Aloe's is to not over water, make sure they have good drainage and to give them plenty of light. Great job on all the prices for everything!

#87402 December 1st, 2006 at 12:02 PM
M
M
I also got an Aloe at Wal-Mart this summer, was $5 though. I thought I was killing it until I moved and it really likes my new porch. So here's my problem. Seattle just got hit with an unexpected freeze and I didn't get it inside before it froze, so now it kinda looks like a 'dead squid' according to my daughter. The inside leaves look like they are doing ok, but the rest just looks like a thawed out frozen veggie of some sort. Is there any hope for this? Do I cut off the limp leaves?

#87403 December 1st, 2006 at 12:54 PM
OP Offline
I have read that white spots are a sign that the aloe is not mature yet. I also have read that they like lots of indirect light and not direct sun, but I am not a aloe-expert and may be wrong.

#87404 December 4th, 2006 at 01:35 AM
M
M
mesher, I love your daughter's description! Yes, cut off the limp leaves and let the whole thing get dry so the cut edges can dry out and not let rot set in. If the growth point is ok, the plant will come back. There are over 450 species of aloe, more of which are becoming available at nurseries. Some have spots all their lives, some just when they are young. Some have teeth along the edges of the leaves, some are single, some clump, some are 30 foot trees! All come from arid places and will quickly rot if overwatered. Many of the small hybrids, like Doran Black and Quicksilver, are always spotted. The hybrids can take more shade, but almost all the species require lots of direct sun for best growth. Here's one of my favorite sites for pics. You can order from them, too, even though it still says 2004 offerings.

www.aloestudies.org/

#87405 January 30th, 2007 at 03:44 PM
D
D
dont have any pics. but it is still alive.. does not seem to be growing much though.. i figure its just slow. i do not water it too much, only every third or fourth watering compared to all the other houseplants.. i had to remove only two small Squid arms.....

#87406 January 30th, 2007 at 04:28 PM
Aloe will grow slow during the winter months and also require almost no water during the winter. Sounds as if it will make it if its still alive and apparently you are doing the right things for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard