This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8736 November 23rd, 2002 at 03:17 AM
D
Dawn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Can anyone offer some advice? I have a gardenia that I keep indoors. It has been growing beautifully however, yesterday I noticed that an entire branch of leaves have wilted. I realized I had not watered it in about a week. I thoroughly watered it but this morning the leaves remain unchanged. Will this branch of leaves revive itself or do I need to cut it off? Or could the plant be root bound and need to be repotted? Currently it's in a pot about 16 inches in diameter and it's pretty large. I have had this plant for several years (much to my surprise) and have never cut it back to produce a bushier plant. Is that the problem?

#8737 November 23rd, 2002 at 07:22 AM
R
R
I would guess that there was an infestation of small mites on that branch that may have spread to other branches now.....cut off that branch.....examine other branches, especially at joints...I have found that Schultz Expert Insect Spray is good for controlling House plants insects. Also I think you should consider transplanting the gardenia in the spring. Rosie

#8738 November 23rd, 2002 at 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is odd that only a single branch has wilted. Perhaps that stem was damaged close to the base. If it hasn't perked up within 24 hours of watering, then it is best to prune it off and hoipe that this same problem does not show up elsewhere on the plant.

A 16" pot is very large for an indoor gardenia, so I don't think repotting is appropriate. Allowing the soil to become dry is a problem, however, and should be avoided.

Spider mites leave a mottled apearance on the leaves, but don't cause wilting.

Link Copied to Clipboard