This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87172 June 9th, 2004 at 12:54 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
OKie dokie, i've got two plants that i can't figure out. I have a white plant that looks like a dusty miller, only more tree like, and less full sized leaf like. Could it just be a big dusty miller?
Dusty Something

Annnnnnnnnnnd now, here's a mystery of a plant that my mom calls a "Chinese Prong." But i can't find anything online about them... They love water, and grow very much like a Bird of Paradice. As a new leave grows, the furthest one on the outside of the plant dies and falls off. This creates a diamond pattern as it creates bark. the ones my mother has are MUCH LARGER than this one. The leaves are the size of a baseball hat, and multiple spike leaves come out of one shoot from the middle. It doesn't flower from what i can see, but it might. Annnnnnnnnd, it propegates from roots underground by shooting up a baby leaf spike, and all that.

The roots shoot off of one big main fleshy root which splits off into many. *thinks* i can't really think of anything else to say about it ^.^ I'm sure you're tired of reading by now lol. Anywho, here's a pic:

Chinese Prong

So ya ^.^ anyone know what these are? *hops* thanks a lot!

#87173 June 9th, 2004 at 06:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The first one looks like a Marigold. Second one I cant tell. Maybe someone else here can identify it.

Karen grinnnn

#87174 June 11th, 2004 at 04:58 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Well when i first got the first one, it was completely white. It could be some kinda weird demented merigold though lol. But ya, ever since i separated it from the other two, its been turning green, and kinda freaking out with the whole thing. As soon as it gets used to its new pot and being on its own, it'll be fine smile Thanks though! I'll look for a species of marigold like that when i get some time!

Does anyone know what the other one is?

#87175 June 13th, 2004 at 06:26 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
anyone? >'.'< meow!

#87176 June 14th, 2004 at 06:49 PM
R
R
The first one looks like a centurea, the one that flowers bright pink. I think the name is Centurea dealbata?

#87177 June 14th, 2004 at 06:54 PM
R
R
[Linked Image]
Centurea dealbata

#87178 June 14th, 2004 at 06:55 PM
R
R
oops sorry that is so big!!

#87179 June 15th, 2004 at 02:25 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
>.o Iiiiiiiiii'm pretty sure its a type of dusty miller. When its healthy, its very very very snow white. Right now its green cuz its not healthy. But when its white, its stems are longer. I think it might just be a different species of dusty miller or something. Thank you though ^.^

Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, what is that other plant?

#87180 June 17th, 2004 at 06:25 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
No one knows? Duh >.< now this thing is gonna bug me... I looked at the other one, and its definately a species of dusty miller.

But the Chinese Prong thing... No one knows?... eek

#87181 June 24th, 2004 at 11:37 PM
H
H
Originally posted by Nako:
OKie dokie, i've got two plants that i can't figure out. I have a white plant that looks like a dusty miller, only more tree like, and less full sized leaf like. Could it just be a big dusty miller?
Dusty Something

Annnnnnnnnnnd now, here's a mystery of a plant that my mom calls a "Chinese Prong." But i can't find anything online about them... They love water, and grow very much like a Bird of Paradice. As a new leave grows, the furthest one on the outside of the plant dies and falls off. This creates a diamond pattern as it creates bark. the ones my mother has are MUCH LARGER than this one. The leaves are the size of a baseball hat, and multiple spike leaves come out of one shoot from the middle. It doesn't flower from what i can see, but it might. Annnnnnnnnd, it propegates from roots underground by shooting up a baby leaf spike, and all that.

The roots shoot off of one big main fleshy root which splits off into many. *thinks* i can't really think of anything else to say about it ^.^ I'm sure you're tired of reading by now lol. Anywho, here's a pic:

Chinese Prong

So ya ^.^ anyone know what these are? *hops* thanks a lot!

#87182 June 24th, 2004 at 11:41 PM
H
H
The firs plant is indeed a relative of dust miller it is also known as wormwood. Don't know about the second one though. sorry about that empty message, I am just trying to learn how to use this message board.

#87183 June 25th, 2004 at 06:38 AM
Could the chinese prong plant be an anthurium?
gardencrazy flw

#87184 June 25th, 2004 at 06:49 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
oh thank you for the wormwood one! *hugz* ^.^ awesome, i know what one of my plants is!

The Prongy thing definately isn't a anthurium. That was a good try though. It looks very similar, but the way it grows is kinda different. Its also green flw As far as i can tell, it doesn't flower.

One of these days, i'll get my webcam over ot my mom's house and get a picture of the HUGE one that mine came from. I guess they root from a bulb, and a buncha lil ones go all over the place, and shoot up around it.

Link Copied to Clipboard