This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86957 May 31st, 2006 at 05:28 AM
desakia Offline OP
OP Offline
hi guys

I am like brand new to gardening ,just bought a house in the winter time,before that always use to rent apartments ,yeah big step hopefully its ll good,,....

FIRST.] recently i just put in some new carpet grass in my front lawn and its starting to turn yellow ,i have been watering it ,is there something i am doing wrong ...(PICS LINK IS DOWN BELOW)

Secondly.] MY back yard lawn has like wet patches of grass and mud in spots,i dont know wether its over watering.And how am i suppose to fix this so that i can have some green lush grass.I had sprinkled some mixture of grass seed and weed killer to the lawn like a month ago,rest of the lwan seems to be comming good,but i dont understand these patches.

i guess i`ll need all the help i can ,and just a request i am new to gardening so i`m trying to understand the lingo and stuff,,,,Thankx in advnce for the help

PICTURES LINK IS DOWN BELOW!!

dESA`S gARDEN PICS ...FRONT LAWN CARPET GRASS AND BRACKYARD MESS

#86958 May 31st, 2006 at 11:07 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
How long has the sod been down, and did you set it on hard rocky ground or did you put down a base of top soil. It appears that some parts are not getting enough water, while others are okay.

#86959 May 31st, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Whoops second part, you should never mix seed and weed killers, they can prevent seeds from germinating.

#86960 May 31st, 2006 at 07:22 PM
desakia Offline OP
OP Offline
plant doc ,i put some top soil and then laid the sod .So you think it could be a watering problem ?

the mixture of grass seed and weed killer i guess came in a bag ,i never did mix anything ,,,,took it out of the bag,into th spreader and laid it out on my lawn,,,

so what do you think from the pics?

#86961 June 1st, 2006 at 12:45 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Desakia

There may be something under the sod that is heating up and burning out the grass in those areas. It does not appear to be a disease, and it by the quick cut off from lush to dead I seriously doubt it is a pest problem. My best guess is that there is not enough top soil in those areas which are dying. I can't tell for certain, but I am pretty sure that would be it.

As far as the back yard goes, it appears to be staying wet for too long of a period of time. You can see algae growing of the surface of the bare soil. I would also take a soil sample to your local extention office and have it checked for its pH. It may be acidic and need to be limed.

Returning to the front yard, When was the sod laid and when did the damage occure? The reason why I am asking is that from the picture it looks as if the sod is between a sidewalk and a road. If so and the sod was put down last season, that may be salt, or snow mold damage. If it was there over the winter was snow which was shoveled from the walk or plowed from the road piled there?

#86962 September 6th, 2006 at 12:11 AM
plant Doc that is very insightful. I never would have thought of that until you said it. I was thinking it sure looks like some dog is peeing on the grass.

#86963 January 11th, 2007 at 10:41 PM
S
S
Try to put some organic fertiliser in those areas, mixed with fine sand and then reseed.

Link Copied to Clipboard