This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I live in South Dakota. I noticed an unusual grass growing in my yard this year. The grass grows from one spot and has a pattern on one side of the blades. The blades are kind of triangular shaped. Does anyone know what this is? (Check out the pict below)

Unusual Grass Picture

A
A
Sorta looks like a type of yucca?

My red hot poker has triangular shaped leaves...could it be one of those? Duh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree with alan. looks like it might be a yucca.

funny that it showed up out of nowhere - pretty big for first year growth. maybe you didn't notice it last year?

do you see this plant growing anywhere else in the general vicinity (i'm thinking the seeds were in bird droppings)? or did you plant something near where this appeared (it may have been in the soil of the other plant)? or, it might not be yucca...it may be some type of grass...i'm not familiar with your area and what is native there.

The Dingbat's Buddy
The Dingbat's Buddy
It does somewhat resemble a yucca,but I just don't think it is.

What is the texture of the plant? Are the leaves hard or soft? Are the edges of the leaves serrated?

G~Mom

M
OP Offline
M
The leaves (or blades) are soft so I'm sure it's not Yucca. The leaves aren't serrated. It's not really that big - I just took a real close-up pict of it.

I just went outside and measured one of the blades (leaves) and it was 17-1/2 inches long.

I saw a couple of them by the house just starting to come up this spring and thought they were quack grass and sprayed them. Then I noticed the 'blades' all grew from one spot so when I saw one popping up among my flowers, I let it grow.

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
NO TIME TO TELL YOU, ms8. RUN GET OUT OF THERE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! sca sca THAT IS THE VERY DANGEROUS Y AAAAARrrrghhhh....... (Thorn is overcome by the strange plants spores)

Why? What's it gonna' do? Eat her for lunch if she doesn't feed it?

M
M
It looks like salsify to me. If you break the tip off a leaf, does it have white, milky sap like a dandilion? If yes, it's salsify.

Link Copied to Clipboard