This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86479 July 4th, 2006 at 04:13 PM
M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
There's lots of unidentified perennials in my backyard, inherrited by the previous owner. I hope someone here can identify some of these for me.

#1: I have a few of these in different places in my backyard, and they always looks like someone's cat has made a nest in it! It has cute bell-shaped flowers (might be hard to see in the photo)
[Linked Image]

#2: I know this is a lily... any idea what type of lily though? I'm sure it's a pretty common one as everyone around here seems to have some growing somewhere. (I'm pretty new to this gardening thing, so please don't laugh. wink )
lily.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#3: This one keeps popping up in a shadier part of my garden.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for any help.

#86480 July 4th, 2006 at 06:00 PM
Number 3 is a monarda - also called bee balm.
It is a favorite of hummingbirds and butterflys, and bees of course!

#86481 July 4th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
I don't know the type of plant in the first picture but it appears to be quite old and in need of division. Wait until cool weather sets in then dig and divide. Since its so large, you can probably get four divisions.

#2, the gorgeous, old Ditch lily, is Hemerocallis fulva. I've never cared for orange flowers but this is one plant that I love and have lots of in various beds. Some have self-hybridized into doubles that are quite pretty. I call this one Double Orange Sherbet...
flowers%20and%20Plants/02787495.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I agree with Lynne on #3 being Monarda although it's difficult to know which one. You can do a Google Images search for your particular variety.
Google Images Search Results

#86482 July 5th, 2006 at 03:06 AM
Hi Malica,

Number 1 looks to me like it could be a balloon flower or possibly a type of campanula (bellflower). Do you have a close up of the flower and the leaves? Hard to tell without knowing the height etc.

#86483 July 5th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
Malica,
I was just looking at your mystery plants and I have number 2 & 3 in my yard also. I also inherited them when we bought the house, so I didn't know what they were. Duh I just took a bunch of pictures & planned on posting them soon for answers. I am a beginner also.
Well now I have 2 less pics to post. grinnnn
Thanks
Tammy

#86484 July 5th, 2006 at 11:26 AM
I agree with Bell flower, lily and Bee Balm wink

#86485 July 5th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
M
Malica Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your help so far -- #3 is definitely a Monarda Jacob (sure helps to narrow it down when you have a least the species! smile )

Here's another picture of #1:
[Linked Image]

It's only about 9" off of the ground and about 3' diameter. Looking at other pictures from google, I'm pretty sure it's campanula in need of some attention in the fall.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll wait for the next batch to bloom for the next batch of pictures.

Link Copied to Clipboard