This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85863 May 15th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
M
MaryD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What's that?!

Anybody recognize this? I know this picture makes it hard to tell how tall it is - It's weird. Most of it, that's unobstructed, is about 2-3" off the ground...but there's one that's growing up between some sedum that's grown just as tall competing for sun!

[Linked Image]

Here's something else that's growing rampant all over the yard. It looks like it's something great, but I don't know...since we inherited this garden, (and Im still pretty new to gardening) we have no idea what's growing. These are growing near the azalea bushes (pink is fallen flowers), and are just green, not a vine that I can tell (I pulled up a few), but spread like crazy.

[Linked Image]

Thanks!
Mary

#85864 May 15th, 2005 at 04:29 AM
R
R
The first is Aegopodium podograria ‘Variegatum’. Variegated Goutweed.

or Bishops Weed

will look into the other.

#85865 May 15th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
the second looks like vinca minor.

#85866 May 15th, 2005 at 05:46 AM
M
MaryD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Awesome! That's definitely it (think I'll call it Variegatum - can't bear the thought of another 'weed'! grinnnn )

I'm not sure the second is vinca minor, though - my picture wasn't the greatest. I'll try to get a better shot of it. They're both pretty cool looking, though.

Here's a REALLY newbie question. I'm putting down mulch on my flower beds, as I make them - will creeping stuff like this grow on top of the mulch? I've been putting down landscape fabric - not sure though if it would spread on top of the fabric?

Thanks for your help! I'll be back with more photos of mystery plant #2!

#85867 May 15th, 2005 at 06:09 AM
Mystery #2 looks like a tradescantia to me. Maybe the weed form???? fluminensis.

Donna flw

#85868 May 15th, 2005 at 06:44 AM
R
R
Yes, "creeping" plants should creep right over the mulch & fabric. In the past, I have lifted up huge portions to clean underneath.

#85869 May 15th, 2005 at 07:21 PM
M
MaryD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Eeeek! Yep, I think it's fluminensis - yay, another 'weed', but hey, it's kinda nice. I swear I do have flowers too! Duh Thanks, Rugby!

This is my first spring at our new house, and first summer without MAJOR weedage taking over, so I have to sift through what's left as it comes up and try to figure out if it's a keeper or not before I pull everything up! Thanks for your help - I'm sure I'll be back with more mysteries to solve smile

Off to gardening!
Mary

#85870 May 15th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
R
R
Ther are alot of cultivars that some people call weeds. I believe that there are NO weeds. "weed" is just a term to describe that which is "undesirable". If you like it, it is not a weed. You may need to control it, but that does not make it a "weed".

#85871 May 17th, 2005 at 07:56 AM
I'm with you on that one, Rugby - no weeds. weeds is a name we give to plants that grow where we don't want them growing.

There are homes for every one of them.

Yeah - I always wanted to know about that variegated chap too . . . I have some goutweed - not exactly like that, but it sure looks good when you get it going.

Throw nothing out - just put them in separate sections of the garden and see what they do. You might get some nice plants out of 'em.

#85872 May 20th, 2005 at 12:52 AM
It's me! Just had to reregister with a different user name. Wow, that was a long coupla days without this forum for me!

I'm so glad to hear that - no such thing as weeds! I've kind of been feeling that way myself, since I found out that nice groundcover is a 'weed'! I found some more 'surprises' in my yard that look like they're getting pink blossoms on them. Probably weeds. I have a whole patch of really cool looking suculants (?), like some kind of tropical plants...anyway, they're staying too! I'll have to get more pictures, so I know what they are with your help!

So much to do!

Mary

#85873 May 20th, 2005 at 04:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have to pipe in here..

I am a weed lover...
And that weed is on my "I really dislike list"

Let me clarify that, if you are trying to hold back a bank, or have an area you reallllly don't care about, or a HUGE area you want to fill in...
It is a good weed/ground cover...
But if you have it in an area where.........
you have other plants that aren't strong, and can't take bullying...don't plant this plant near them.... these are bullies..
They are very~very~very hard to get rid of once established...
You can't pull them out because of the root system, they'll snap off but the bottom will
stay right there...and never come out..
That's why they make such good bank holders...

Weezie

#85874 May 20th, 2005 at 04:40 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I have to pipe in here..

I am a weed lover...
Weezie! I am absolutely SHOCKED!!! [Linked Image]

laugh

kissies

#85875 May 20th, 2005 at 04:58 AM
Hi Bill,

this has nothing to do with the weeds(sorry Weezie),but rather with the last 2 days.

As you know we had tronble with tgh. and were mysteriously transporte into 2004 for about a day or two.

well i take the opportunity that Bill hopfully is still on the net with us,to thank him and all the good people that worked hard to restore our good gh.

THANKS A LOT!!

#85876 May 20th, 2005 at 05:05 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
[Linked Image]
Welllllll Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

#85877 May 20th, 2005 at 05:32 AM
Weezie,

dies it mean i better read before i write or what,.

#85878 May 20th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
No Francine, I was workin' on Bill's post
and you posted in between us..
**Took me a while to find something funny**
When he was pickin' on me for likin' weeds...

********And Bill, that was weeds, not weed!!!!
You're too funny!!!!

Weezie

#85879 May 20th, 2005 at 08:21 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
And Bill, that was weeds, not weed!!!!
Uh huh... :rolleyes:
Sure thing Weezie!!!! We ALL believe you!!! laugh

laugh

laugh

laugh

(just teasing!!!!!!!)
kissies

#85880 May 20th, 2005 at 03:12 PM
Weezie, did you mean the variegated goutweed (bishops) or did you mean the stuff with the red that was originally posted?

#85881 May 21st, 2005 at 02:46 AM
hi,

Sorry weezie next time i wont interup anyone again,

#85882 May 21st, 2005 at 04:28 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
****Carly,
Weezie, did you mean the variegated goutweed (bishops) or did you mean the stuff with the red that was originally posted?
The Goutweed.... the red stuff looks like
flowers/petals that have fallen off.????

****Francine,
Sorry weezie next time i wont interup anyone again,
You weren't interupting anyone.... The way the board works is, even though when I read the post Bill posted and no one had posted after him when I came along...when I had pulled up the post to reply and then went looking for something funny to post, you had also seen the post, and you posted your post and then as mine came in behind you...
so, it looked like I had answered to your post...

Not to worry...

****Bill,
Uh huh...
Sure thing Weezie!!!! We ALL believe you!!!
Those days have been lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng gone now...lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg gone...

The only weeds I'm into now and can afford..
are the one's in the back yard and free.... wink laugh

#85883 May 21st, 2005 at 07:53 AM
hi weezie,

someday i ll get the hang of it,thanks weezie...by the by... why weezie13..why the 13.

good night!

#85884 May 21st, 2005 at 06:08 PM
Hey, guess Im a weed lover myself...just not THAT weed ;-)

I pulled up some of that bishops weed, and it looked like I got the root along with it, as though it wasn't growing on a vine? I'll have to try again and see what it looksl ike when it comes out. I don't want it bullying my other plants! I have a few sedum and oriental lilies in there too - but all of it will be relocated at some point. Is it too late now to move them (sedum & lilies)? I'm in zone 6. Someone here told me it's safe to move plants in the months that have 'r' in them (april, but not may), because it's our rainy season. I don't wanna kill my stuff that actually isn't weeds!

Mary wink

#85885 May 22nd, 2005 at 03:11 AM
I stand corrected!

I went out and pulled up some more of that bishops weed, and sure 'nuff it had a vine. Musta snapped it off first time around. So I just wanted to report back with what you already knew... but I didn't LOL

Thanks,
Mary

Link Copied to Clipboard